CLASSIC APPLE CRISP is the perfect Fall dessert! Warm sweet apples are topped with a sweet, buttery crispy topping. Top with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and you’ve got the perfect dessert!
One of the things I missed about living in the north was Fall. When I lived in Massachusetts I went apple picking for the first time and it was the BEST! You get all bundled in sweaters and cozy clothes, walk through the field and find the best apples, then hang out at the farm house and drink warm apple cider, eat fresh apple fritters. Then head home to make a delicious apple dessert or six with your bounty. When we moved from Arizona to Oregon, apple picking was one of the things I was most excited about!
This Classic Apple Crisp is a favorite of ours to make. It’s so simple to make and always a hit! I can never pass up a warm, sweet apple dessert. Something about them just warms you up from the inside! It’s also the ultimate comfort food. I always just think of cozy days and fall leaves when I think of apple desserts and a classic apple crisp is top of the list!
- 5 lbs of apples, peeled, cored, and sliced into wedges
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 1/2 cup flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup of butter, cold, diced
- preheat the oven to 350 degrees F
- spray a 9 x 13 baking dish with cooking spay
- in a large bowl toss the apples with granulated sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg
- pour into the baking dish
- in a medium bowl combine the flour, sugar, salt and oats
- cut in the butter until it looks like peas.
- sprinkle in an even layer over the top of the apples
- bake for 1 hour until top is browned and crispy and apples are bubbly
- serve on it's own or with vanilla ice cream!