Fizzy, sweet, and it packs a real punch! This Cherry Beer Margarita is sure to be your new poolside favorite!
Margaritas have always been one of my favorite summer-time drinks. Starting pretty much right around Cinco de Mayo straight through Labor Day, if I’m mixing up something sweet, it’s almost guaranteed to be a margarita recipe of some sort. I’m not talking the overly sweet, makes your mouth pucker, pre-mixed cocktails… I’m talking the real deal here. They’re super yummy and easy to make (just check out this post on how to make a margarita).
My newest obsession though is this delicious Cherry Beer Margarita. They’re the adult version of your kid’s favorite slushy, filled to the brim with fizzy diet 7up and Corona Light. They are the ultimate summer margarita (with these amazing Pina-Ritas coming in a very close second….).
CHERRY BEER MARGARITA
Like this recipe? Pin it to your DRINKS pinboard!
Follow Real Housemoms on Pinterest
This summer has been a scorcher. Now, don’t get me wrong – I love me some hot summer weather, pool days with friends, and warm nights around the campfire. But, this summer just seemed like it was hotter than hot every day.
I found myself searching my recipe books and favorite food blogs for delicious COLD drinks (both non-alcoholic and alcoholic) nearly every day this summer. I needed something other than water to quench my thirst and this margarita recipe was one that really caught my attention.
The slight amount of sweetness comes from the limeade and Diet Cherry 7Up and the bite of the tequila is (to put it simply) cocktail perfection. I’m not much of a beer drinker. My husband on the other hand could talk craft beers with you until he’s blue in the face. Though I have to admit that the Corona Light in this easy margarita recipe really gives it a little extra kick.
Now that I’ve spent the summer having my girlfriends taste test this beer margarita, I can confidently say that I have tweaked it to perfection. I know that I’ll be making these yummy cocktails WELL into the fall and winter months (move over pumpkin spice…. tequila is calling).
What’s in a Margarita?
A “typical” margarita has 3 ingredients – simple syrup, lime juice, and tequila. What I really love about Cherry Beer Margaritas is that I don’t have to go to the trouble of making simple syrup. I always seem to forget to make it and then have to wait forever for it to cool. Instead, the limeade concentrate and 7up give this beer margarita all the sweetness it needs.
- Corona Light – I use a light beers to keep calories down and Mexican beer for that margarita pairing perfection!
- Diet Cherry 7up
- Frozen Limeade concentrate – way easier to get a lot of lime juice than fresh limes
- Lime and cherries for garnish
How Do You Make a Margarita?
- In a large pitcher, combine together 12 ounces each of beer, cherry 7up, limeade, and tequila until they’re all mixed up.
- Then take your cocktail glasses and run a lime wedge around the rim of the glasses. Dip the rim into some margarita salt. (This step is optional, but I love a margarita with salt!)
- Then you want to carefully fill the glasses with lots of ice. Doing your best to not knock off any of the salt.
- After that, pour your margaritas into the glasses and garnish with a lime slice and a couple of cherries.
Yup…. you read that right. Mix and pour. It couldn’t be any easier to have a cherry margarita in your hands in almost an instant.
If you’re only making a single cocktail, I suggest shaking up your ingredients in a cocktail shaker to really get it cold. However, I almost always make a double or triple recipe of this yummy recipe because my guests can’t get enough of it! That’s why I make it in my favorite pitcher (linked below!)
More Easy Margarita Recipes
Frozen Margarita – while I love a fun fruity margarita, sometimes you just want the good ole classic. This one is perfection in a glass!
Margarita Mules – believe me when I say Moscow Mules and Margaritas are a match made in Heaven. Don’t knock it ’til you try it.
Blood Orange Margarita – these delicious cocktails pack a real citrusy punch. I reach for this recipe every year when blood oranges are in season!
Frozen Cucumber Margarita – there is something so refreshing about a cucumber cocktail (or even simply cucumber-infused water). It’s fresh, not too sweet, and makes me feel like I’m relaxing at the spa.
Want some more yummy cocktail recipes? Check out these other Real Housemoms libations!
- Classic Tequila Sunrise
- Tropical Moscato Sangria
- Summer Berry Sangria
- Long Island Iced Tea
- Raspberry Peach Wine Slushie
- more DRINK recipes…
Tools used to make this Cherry Beer Margaritas recipe
Glass Pitcher: I love this gigantic pitcher – I use for sharing all my favorite summer cocktails with my friends!
Cocktail Shaker: if you’re making single servings of Cherry Beer Margaritas, give it a shake in this cocktail shaker to make sure it’s all mixed up!
*This post originally posted on 05/24/2013.
- In a large pitcher, mix together beer, cherry 7up, limeade, and tequila until completely combined.
- Use a lime wedge to moisten the rim of your glass. Dip the glass rim into margarita salt. Carefully fill your glasses with ice, so you don't knock off the salt.
- Fill each glass with margaritas and garnish with a lime slice and a couple of cherries. Serve immediately.