APPLE PIE CINNAMON ROLLS are everything you love about cinnamon rolls & apple pie all rolled into one delicious bite!
Do you love cinnamon rolls? Our family is crazy for cinnamon. Now that it’s inching closer to fall we have cinnamon & apples all over the place here. One of our favorite things to do is head over to see our friend Joe, who runs a farm down the road. We spend the day learning about how to grow berries & vegetables while we pick apples from his orchard. It’s quite possibly one of my most favorite things to do during the fall season. I love loading up the back of our truck with produce that I can prepare in various ways to last throughout the season.
One thing my family always looks forward to is my homemade apple pie filling. It’s because I usually make more than just pie with it. We love to use it in parfaits, on top of ice cream or mixed into various other recipes like I did here with these cinnamon rolls. The pie filling is already packed with that great cinnamon flavor & deep caramel sauce. It’s really the perfect addition to a cinnamon roll, if you ask me.
These were so incredible. I was sure glad I made a double batch so we would have enough to last for more than a couple mornings. The kids were in absolute heaven. If you love cinnamon rolls- these will be your new favorite breakfast. I guarantee it.
- 1 package yeast (or 2 1/4 teaspoons), dissolved in 1/2 cup room temperature water
- 3 tbsp shortening (Crisco)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup softened butter
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 can apple pie filling
- 1/4 cup cinnamon/sugar mix
- 1 cup confectioners sugar
- 2-3 tbsp milk
- Add yeast to 1/2 cup of room temperature water. Stir with a spoon and set aside while you prep the other ingredients
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, add shortening, sugar, hot water and salt & beat for 30 seconds. Allow to cool to room temperature.
- Add in 2 cups of flour & mix until smooth.
- Mix in yeast mixture until well combined.
- Mix in the beaten eggs.
- Gradually stir in the remaining flour & mix with the dough hook -about 2 minutes.
- Remove dough from the bowl & place on a lightly floured counter. Coat hands in flour & knead by hand, add a little flour if the dough is still too sticky. Knead until dough feels smooth.
- Put the dough in a greased bowl & cover with a towel. Let dough rise for 30 minutes or until it doubles in size.
- Remove dough from bowl & place on a lightly floured counter again. Roll dough into a rectangle.
- Spread butter over dough. Sprinkle dough with brown sugar & cinnamon/sugar mixture.
- Spread apple pie filling on top. Gently roll up dough into one long roll.
- Cut rolls into 12 even slices using a dough cutter. Place rolls into a greased 9X13 baking pan. Place rolls in a warm spot & cover with a towel. Let rolls rise until double in size, about an hour.
- Bake rolls at 425 degrees F for 10 minutes.
- Reduce temperature to 350 degrees F and bake for an additional 7-10 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove pans from oven and let cool on a wire rack.
- In a small bowl, combine milk & confectioners sugar, whisk until smooth.
- Pour frosting over rolls and serve.
Looking for more great fall recipes? Here are some of our favorites!