Zucchini Texas Sheet Cake is a crowd pleasing cake with a rich buttermilk chocolate frosting. I hear everything is bigger in Texas and this cake hits the mark!
Fall is my favorite season of the year.
I love everything zucchini and pumpkin. Literally. And that is how I came up with this recipe. I took my favorite Triple Chocolate Zucchini Cake recipe and made it into a sheet cake, then I took my favorite Best Ever Brownie Frosting recipe and put it on top of this giant zucchini cake. Perfect match.
Real Housemoms TV
This cake is just perfect for a holiday get together and large enough for everyone to have a piece. Or you could just make this cake for yourself, like I did. Eat a quarter of it before the kids get home from school.
I am looking forward to taking this Zucchini Texas Sheet Cake to the pumpkin patch, with a batch of homemade chili and cornbread. That is looking like the ideal fall meal right there.
While this year I wasn’t able to have a garden, I relied on my brother farm to load me up on zucchini. And he did not disappoint. In fact, I have 5 more sitting here and I am thinking how many Zucchini Texas Sheet Cakes can I make with them. I am about to surprise some of my friends with the best chocolate zucchini cake they have ever had.
Get more great recipes like this one on our Best Dessert Recipes pin board!
- 2 cups sugar
- ¾ cup oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup Ghirardelli cocoa
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 ½ cups flour
- ½ cup milk
- 2 cups grated or shredded zucchini
- 1 stick 1/2 cup butter
- 6 tablespoons buttermilk
- 4 tablespoon cocoa
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 3 3/4 cup 1 pound powdered sugar
- Preheat oven 350 degrees. Prepare a jelly roll pan by spraying a baking sheet with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Blend together sugar, oil, and eggs. In a separate bowl combine flour, salt, baking soda, cocoa, and cinnamon and baking powder. With the mixer on medium, mix in the flour mixture. Then slowly adding milk and zucchini. Mix until well combined. Pour into prepared pan.
- Mix well and pour into prepared pan. Bake for 18-20 minutes.
- In a medium glass mixing bowl, add the butter, cover with a plate, and heat butter for 1 minute in the microwave. Remove from microwave and remove the lid. Stir in vanilla and buttermilk, place back in the microwave and heat for 30 seconds, stir, then heat for another 30 seconds, stir, heat for 30 seconds and stir and then heat for another 30 seconds.
- Remove from microwave and stir in cocoa and powder sugar, until well combined. Place back in the microwave and heat for 30 seconds, stir. Heat for another 30 seconds and stir, repeat 1 more time if needed until frosting is smooth and there are no clumps. Pour over brownies, and spread evenly. Let frosting cool and harden. Cut and serve.
Love zucchini season? I do. Be sure to check out my other favorite fall recipes.
Download your FREE copy of Dinner Made Easy!
Sign up to receive our newsletter and download your copy of Dinner Made Easy FREE! You'll get one email a week with our favorite recipes and tools to make life easy!