Bananas, brown sugar, and butter caramelize to create a topping that reminds me of Bananas Foster, only this is in cake form. Anything in cake form is better, right? This Upside Down Banana Cake is a beautiful dessert perfect for special occasions or even just because… because sometimes you just want to indulge in the goodness of caramelized bananas. <smile>
We LOVE Pineapple Upside Down Cake, and I’ve made it many many times. We also LOVE Bananas Foster, so when I was perusing Allrecipes, as I often do, I came across a recipe for an Upside Down Banana Cake. Why didn’t I think of that?! This fusion of two classic desserts sounds amazing. I had to try it!
Real Housemoms TV
I love bananas on their own, but I’d do just about anything for some caramelized banana goodness! The brown sugar and butter combined with the natural banana flavor creates an irresistible topping that oozes ooey gooey deliciousness in every bite!
To make the topping you simply combine melted butter with brown sugar and spread that evenly onto the bottom of your cake pan(s). Top with sliced bananas and cake batter and bake. I made the cake from scratch, but your favorite cake mix will work too. This makes a large 13×9 cake or you can split it and make two smaller 9″ round or square cakes. I usually split it because it is just the two of us, and I make one to keep and one to share. This cake is best served the same day, as the bananas will turn gray after several hours. If you do have some leftover, store, covered, in the fridge for up to 3 days. I hope you enjoy this fusion of two classic desserts!
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter melted (1/2 stick)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 3-4 bananas sliced
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter softened (1 stick)
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups Cake Flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Grease and flour two 9" round cake pans or one 13x9" cake pan
- Combine 4 tablespoons melted butter with 1/2 cup brown sugar and mix well. Spread the brown sugar mixture evenly into the bottom of your cake pan(s).
- Top with sliced bananas, placing bananas in a single layer.
- In a mixing bowl, cream together 1/2 cup softened butter and 1 1/2 cups sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add 1 1/4 cups milk and 1 teaspoon vanilla and beat until combined.
- Add 2 1/4 cups flour, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1 tablespoon baking powder and mix until just combined.
- Pour cake batter evenly into pan(s) and bake in preheated oven for 30-35 minutes until the center bounces back when lightly pressed. Cook time will vary depending on what size pan you use, so be sure the middle is set (no jiggles).
- Cool for 15 minutes and then run a knife around the edges of the cake and carefully invert onto a serving platter. Enjoy!
This cake is great alone, but serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and some Homemade Caramel Sauce for an extra special treat. Here is my recipe for How to Make Homemade Caramel Sauce:
Download your FREE copy of Dinner Made Easy!
Sign up to receive our newsletter and download your copy of Dinner Made Easy FREE! You'll get one email a week with our favorite recipes and tools to make life easy!