Soft, chewy, and simply adorable! These Strawberry Cake Mix Cookies are a crazy easy recipe to mix up anytime you’re craving cookies!
February is here, which means it’s time for ALL the pink things! From my favorite Starbucks Pink Drink, to these adorable Strawberry Cake Mix Cookies, I devote the entire month of February to pink and red foods in honor of one of my favorite holidays, Valentine’s Day! If you’ve got a sweet tooth and love a good easy recipe, then you HAVE to make these cookies. Grab yourself a box of strawberry cake mix and whip up a batch today, you won’t regret it!
STRAWBERRY CAKE MIX COOKIES
Like this recipe? Pin it to your DESSERT board!
Follow Real Housemoms on Pinterest
Ahhh Valentine’s Day parties… cute little handmade Valentines, pink and red-colored treats for the class…I miss those days. When it came to feeding the masses on Valentine’s Day (and by masses I mean an entire class of sugar-crazed first graders…), I always went with one of my tried and true favorite recipes: strawberry cookies made with cake mix. There are three main reasons I chose this scrumptious recipe…
First (and most importantly), they taste and look AMAZING. These cookies are soft, chewy, and have a sweet strawberry flavor that kids and adults alike obsess over. They look adorable topped with holiday-themed chocolate candies.
Second, I make strawberry cake mix cookies because they’re a great recipe to make WITH kids. Once my kids hit around second grade, they basically made this recipe all on their own! These cookies are so quick and super easy to make.
And third, this strawberry cake mix cookies recipe is so great because it is SUPER flexible. Really you can use any kind of cake mix or any kind of mix-ins that you want!
You’ve got funfetti cake mix on hand? Go for it.
If you want to use dark chocolate chips instead of white chocolate chips? Do it!
Love the pastel M&Ms for those happy spring vibes? Grab a bag!
Strawberry Cake Mix Cookie Ingredients
Cake mix – as the name of the cookie states, you’ll want a box of store-bought strawberry cake mix to make this recipe. I love the beautiful pastel pink color that the cake mix gives these cookies. They’re perfect for Valentine’s Day, a baby shower, or even a little girl’s birthday party!
You could also switch up your cake mix flavor. One of my favorite variations on this recipe is to make red velvet cake mix cookies. The rich flavor of red velvet is perfect in this chewy cookie recipe!
Egg, Butter, & Cream Cheese – it’s important that you DON’T follow the directions on the box for making the cake. We’re not making a cake here people, we’re making strawberry cake mix cookies! All you’ll need to make these cookies is an egg, some cream cheese, and melted butter.
White chocolate chips and/or chocolate candies – while strawberry cookies made with cake mix are delicious all on their own, I think it’s the little details that make the cookies extra special. I love using seasonal chocolate candies in my cookies, they really tie in with the pink and red theme!
How to Make Strawberry Cookies with Cake Mix
With a simple mix, drop, and bake, you’ll have some delicious strawberry cake mix cookies! You can share them with friends, family, or hoard them for yourself… it’s okay to treat yourself!
- Start by grabbing your mixer. I love to use my stand mixer with the paddle attachment, but a hand mixer and large bowl would work just fine too!
- Next, melt your butter in the microwave. Yes, I know that when you make typical cookies, you want softened butter. But these aren’t typical cookies!
- Next, beat the cream cheese and egg together in your mixing bowl until it’s nice and smooth. Then add the vanilla and melted butter and mix until it’s nice and combined.
- Now, combine the cake mix with the wet ingredients. You’ll add about half in at a time, mixing in between each addition until the dough is just combined.
- Now it’s time to add in your extras. I love using white chocolate chips and seasonal chocolate candies. Pro Tip: Fold these in with a spoon as opposed to with your mixer. Otherwise, the candies will break and be way less cute.
- Let your dough chill for 30 minutes in the fridge. This helps to get the perfect consistency for scooping!
- When you’re ready to bake, preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Then line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Grab a cookie scoop and plop cookies onto the prepared baking sheet. Make sure you leave at least 1-inch of space between each dough ball. These strawberry cake mix cookies do spread a bit!
- Bake your cookies for about 9 minutes or until the cookies are set but not browned. When they’re done baking remove from the oven.
- Let your cookies cool on the pan for about 5 minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely. Just try to hold yourself back from eating the whole batch yourself. (Or don’t…. I won’t tell!)
What can I do with a box of cake mix?
Well yes. Of course, you can always do a classic CAKE with a box of store-bought cake mix, but why limit yourself to just cakes? There are soooo many delicious things you can do with a simple box of cake mix. Here are some of my personal favorites (besides strawberry cake mix cookies of course…):
Chocolate Cake Mix Bars – there’s almost nothing easier than making bar cookies and these chocolate cake mix bars are a chocolate lover’s dream!
Cake Mix Cherry Cheesecake – did you have any idea you could make cheesecake out of cake mix?! I didn’t until I made this recipe and I’ve never looked back since!!!
Crock Pot Apple Cobbler – with only your slow cooker and 7 simple ingredients (including a box of cake mix!), you can make an amazing, mouth-watering apple cobbler that is a perfect dessert for sharing!
Looking for some more Valentine’s Day inspired recipes? Try out these other Real Housemoms treats!
- Raspberry Cheesecake Bites
- Strawberry Shortcake
- Swirled Red Velvet Brownies
- Easy Chocolate Lava Cake
- Pink Magic Bars
- more DESSERT recipes…
Tools used to make this Strawberry Cake Mix Cookies recipe
Cookie Scoop: One of the best ways to ensure evenly baked cookies is to use a handy cookie scoop. That way all your cookies will be a uniform size and come out perfectly!
Baking Sheet: I love these half-sheet baking pans for all my baking needs!
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together cream cheese and egg until smooth. Add villa and melted butter, and mix to combine.
- Add half the cake mix and mix until just combined. Add remaining cake mix and mix until a dough forms.
- Add white chocolate chips and M&Ms and stir in by hand.
- Chill dough in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Use a cookie scoop or 1 tablespoon measuring spoon to portion dough. Place cookie dough scoops on prepared baking sheet at least 1 inch apart.
- Bake for 9-11 minutes until cookies are set, but not browned.
- Remove from oven and let cookies cool on the pan for 5 minutes. Then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week.