Soft and moist Pistachio Chip Cookies have just a hint of green and make a fantastically festive treat for the holidays season!
Perfectly soft and chewy Pistachio Chip Cookies are the perfect cookie to serve at any holiday gathering! Made with cream cheese and pistachio pudding mix and studded with melty chocolate chips, these cookies are seriously moist and utterly addicting!
THERE’S A NEW HOLIDAY COOKIE IN TOWN!
When you think of holiday cookies I doubt that pistachio is the first flavor that comes to mind. One bite of this pistachio pudding chocolate chip cookie recipe will make you and all of your guests, believers that pistachio belongs on Santa’s plate of fresh-baked cookies this year.
If you’re looking for other delicious pistachio desserts then you have to try Pistachio Cheesecake Dip and Pistachio Icebox Cake.
OTHER RECIPES TO SERVE WITH PISTACHIO CHIP COOKIES
- Chewy Chocolate Cake Mix M&M Cookies – These cookies are a beautiful compliment to Pistachio Chip Cookies. You can also play around with the mix-ins and customize these cookies for the holidays!
- Chocolate Peppermint Cookies – The subtle peppermint of these cookies makes them a great addition to any cookie collection.
- Spritz Cookies – These decorative cookies are so much fun and can be dressed for any occasion!
Pudding: These cookies get their pistachio flavor from one 3.4 ounce package of instant pistachio pudding. It also helps to make them super moist!
Pantry: You’ll want to prep a cup of sugar, 2 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour, a teaspoon of baking powder, and a teaspoon of vanilla extract. Also, be sure to have 1 cup of semi-sweet chips on hand.
Fridge: Take 1 cup of butter and 1 package of cream cheese from the fridge and let them soften before you start. You’ll also need 1 egg for these pistachio pudding cookies.
HOW TO MAKE PISTACHIO CHIP COOKIES
STEP ONE: In a large mixing bowl, combine 2 1/2 cups of flour, a teaspoon of baking powder, and the package of pistachio pudding mix and set it aside.
STEP TWO: In a separate large bowl or stand mixer, cream together the softened butter, softened cream cheese, and sugar until it is a light and fluffy texture. Next, beat in the egg and vanilla extract.
STEP THREE: Gradually stir the flour mixture into the creamed mixture. Once the dough is well mixed, stir in the cup of chocolate chips. Place the dough in the refrigerator for an hour and allow it to set so it is easier to handle. Just prior to taking the dough out, you can prep by preheating the oven to 350 degrees F and preparing a greased baking sheet.
STEP FOUR: Once the dough has chilled, scoop and roll 1-inch balls and place them 2 inches apart on the greased baking sheet. Flatten the dough balls slightly with the bottom of a clean drinking glass.
STEP FIVE: Place the cookies in the oven for 10-12 minutes or until the bottoms are lightly browned. Remove the cookies to wire racks to cool before serving.
TIPS FOR SUCCESS
- This recipe will yield about 6 dozen cookies so it is perfect for entertaining for the holidays! If you have extra cookies, you can always freeze them in an airtight container.
- You can also try using white chocolate chips for a sweeter, creamier tasting cookie.
- Always be sure to use dry pudding mix and not actual pudding!
HOW TO FREEZE COOKIES
These cookies freeze really well! Just make sure to store them in an airtight container. Pistachio Chip Cookies will last in the freezer for up to three months.
Another great option is to freeze the cookie dough! I like to freeze the dough once it has already been portioned into balls. When you are ready to bake the frozen cookies, remove the dough from the freezer. Allow it to come up to room temperature as the oven heats up. You will need to add an extra minute or two to the baking time.
WHAT DOES PISTACHIO TASTE LIKE
Pistachios are mildly sweet and nutty. Their flavor can actually vary from batch to batch with some nuts tasting stronger and some milder. Pistachio pudding is typically flavored with pistachio and almond. If you’re not familiar with pistachios, but you know that you love almonds, there’s a good chance you’ll love these pistachio cookies!
OTHER CREATIVE COOKIE RECIPES
- Pistachio and Cranberry Oatmeal Cookies
- Nutty Triple Chocolate Cookies
- Glazed Lemon Butter Cookies
- Glazed Apple Cookies
- Lime Sugar Cookies
*This post originally published on 12/14/2013.
- Combine the flour, pudding mix, and baking powder in a medium mixing bowl. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat together the butter, cream cheese, and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg and vanilla and mix until smooth.
- Gradually add the flour mixture to wet ingredients mixing until just combined.
- Stir in chocolate chips using a rubber spatula.
- Refrigerate the cookie dough for 1 hour.
- Preheat our oven to 350 degrees F.
- Use a cookie scoop to portion the dough and then roll into 1-inch balls. Place about 2-inches apart of a parchment paper or silicone mat-lined baking sheet.
- Flatten the cookie dough balls slightly with the bottom of a glass. Don't squish them too much, just enough to flatten the top.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until the bottom edges are lightly browned. Remove the cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.