Peppermint is one of my favorite scents and flavors, especially this time of year. And, while baked treats are super good, I’m really trying to make sure we don’t go completely overboard on the sweets. So, instead of peppermint treats to eat, how about a peppermint playdough recipe to keep the kids entertained?!
We whipped up a batch of peppermint playdough and the kids were SO excited! Making playdough at home is SO easy and inexpensive. For this version, we just took a very basic playdough recipe and added some red food coloring and peppermint essential oil.
To add to the fun, give the kids some Christmas cookie cutters and/or a Christmas placemat and let them have fun! The dough is soft and smells amazing! In fact, the house had a hint of peppermint aroma for hours after making!
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup salt
- 2 Tbsp cream of tartar
- 1 cup water
- 1 Tbsp veg. oil
- red food coloring
- 8-10 drops peppermint essential oil or peppermint extract
- In a small saucepan, mix all ingredients.
- Continue stirring often until the mixture is no longer sticky (and forms a dough).
- Remove from pan and let cool!
- Play & have fun, store in airtight container!