These easy OVEN DRIED STRAWBERRIES are the perfect way to preserve those sweet summer strawberries!
One of my favorite things about summertime is all of the fruits and berries that come into season. Not only are they sweet & ripe, but since they are also plentiful so you can usually pick them up for a pretty good price too. Though I am pretty much a huge fan of all the summertime fruits and berries, I think that I most look forward to strawberry season each summer. I can usually pick up a pint of strawberries at my local grocery store for under $2 then. Lately, I have been bringing home two pints during my weekly grocery shopping trips- one to whirl into creamy smoothies & to fold into no-bake desserts and another just to oven dry.
Real Housemoms TV
So why oven dry your strawberries at home versus just picking up a bag of dried strawberries at the store? For starters, it is MUCH cheaper to make your own dried strawberries at home. Have you seen the prices on a tiny bag of store bought strawberries?? Another reason is because I know exactly what is going into my dried strawberries when I make them at home. Most often, store bought dried strawberries contain a bunch of unpronounceable preservatives and unnecessary added sugar. There is just one drawback to these homemade dried strawberries that I am sharing with you all today- they won’t last as long as conventional store bought ones since we have nixed the preservatives and chemicals in this recipe. But that shouldn’t be a problem seeing as how these Oven Dried Strawberries rarely last more than a few days in my house. 😉
Snack on these oven dried strawberries as is, add them to your favorite granola or trail mix, or throw them into a bowl of cereal or over yogurt.
- 1 1/2 cups of fresh strawberries hulled & sliced
- 1-2 tbsp of sugar optional
- Preheat your oven to 200 degrees. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place the strawberry slices on the prepared baking sheet being sure to not crowd them. You will want the air to be able to flow easily between the strawberries. Sprinkle with sugar, if desired. (Note- Taste the strawberries when slicing them. If they are already pretty sweet, the sugar won't be necessary.)
- Place the strawberry slices in the oven & let them bake & dry for 2 hours. Take them out of the oven, flip them and then bake an additional 2-3 hours or until sufficiently dried.
- Allow to cool completely, and then transfer to an airtight container. Since there are no preservatives in these dried strawberries, they are best consumed within 5 days.
If you loved this recipe post, you might also like my…
Download Your Free Copy!
Download your FREE copy of Dinner Made Easy!
Sign up to receive our newsletter and download your copy of Dinner Made Easy FREE! You'll get one email a week with our favorite recipes and tools to make life easy!