For perfectly bite-sized dogs, this Mini Chili Cheese Dog Bake is a super fun recipe that takes the mess factor out of serving chili dogs!
Delicious, hand-held, and super easy to make, this Mini Chili Cheese Dog Bake takes your classic chili dog recipe to the next level! Just hollow out a fresh mini bun, add a piece of hot dog, pile on a spoonful of homemade chili, and finish with a sprinkle of cheese and in just five minutes you’ll have the greatest snack ever!
CHILI DOGS, HOLD THE MESS
These Mini Chili Cheese Dogs are perfect for kids, and adults, who may have the reputation of being messy eaters. When you pile toppings on a traditional hot dog you’re guaranteed to lose some, but when the toppings are baked into the bun you can enjoy every last bite!
OTHER RECIPES TO SERVE WITH MINI CHILI CHEESE DOG BAKE
- Walking Tacos – Since you’re already making chili, you can easily serve up the rest of the ingredients needed for these amazing walking tacos!
- Pepperoni Pizza Puffs – Another huge favorite served in a small bite!
- Crock Pot Bacon Cheeseburger Dip – Because burgers and dogs should always go hand in hand!
Chili: This simple homemade chili is made with a pound of ground beef, chopped onion, strained tomatoes, and red kidney beans. It is seasoned with chili powder, garlic powder, and sea salt.
Buns: You’ll want to use 12 mini buns or rolls. You can buy them pre-made or bake them yourself, whatever works best for you!
Dogs: Choose your favorite brand of dogs and slice them in half.
Cheese: Shredded cheddar cheese is a must to finish off these delicious dogs.
HOW TO MAKE A MINI CHILI CHEESE DOG BAKE
STEP ONE: Start by preheating the oven to 350 degrees F and lining a baking sheet with parchment paper. Next, begin preparing the homemade chili by placing a skillet on medium heat and browning the ground beef using EVOO. Once it begins to brown, add in the chopped onion and cook the meat for another 5 minutes.
STEP TWO: Next, add the chili powder, garlic powder, and salt to the meat and mix it to combine. Pour in the strained tomatoes and red kidney beans and bring the chili to a simmer over low heat for about 5 minutes.
STEP THREE: While the chili simmers, prepare the buns by placing them on the prepared baking sheet and making a hole in the middle, removing the inside of the roll. To assemble, place a layer of chili, a hot dog halve, and more chili to cover it. Then top each bun with shredded cheese.
STEP FOUR: Place the Mini Chili Cheese Dog Bake in the oven for about 5 minutes until the cheese is melted. Serve hot and enjoy!
TIPS FOR SUCCESS
- This recipe can be adapted to make as many or as few hot dog bakes as desired. You can also store extra chili and assemble fresh hot dog bakes over the next couple of days.
- Depending on the buns or rolls you use and the size of the hot dogs you select, you may need to adapt the size of the hot dog pieces you cut.
HOW LONG DOES HOMEMADE CHILI LAST IN THE FRIDGE?
Depending on whether I’m entertaining or just whipping these up for my kids, sometimes I end up with extra chili. Luckily, this delicious chili will last for 3-4 days in the fridge as long as you store it in an airtight container and refrigerate it quickly once it’s made. I usually use leftover chili to make the second round of chili cheese dog bakes the next day.
OTHER CHILI DOG TOPPING IDEAS
If you want to explore all of the potentials that this chili cheese dog bake has to offer then you can get creative with lots of other fun toppings! I love to drizzle hot queso over my chili dog bites. If you want to add a little heat, chopped jalapenos are another perfect addition. You can also just keep it classic and add some diced raw onion to the top.
OTHER EASY AND FUN RECIPES
- Baked Jalapeno Popper Chicken Sliders
- Air Fryer Cheeseburger Egg Rolls
- Easy Ranch Chicken Tacos
- Crock Pot Pizza Casserole
- Layered Nacho Dip
- Breakfast Pizza
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat and set aside.
- Place a large skillet over medium heat. Add the olive oil to the skillet along with the ground beef. Cook until browned, breaking up the meat as it cooks. Add in the chopped onion and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add the chili powder, garlic powder, salt, tomato sauce, and kidney beans to the skillet. Stir and bring to a simmer over low heat for about 5 minutes.
- While the chili simmers, prep the buns by placing them on the baking sheet, making a hole in the top, and removing the insides. You want a little bun bowl for everything to go into.
- To assemble, place a layer of chili in each bun, add a hot dog half, and top with more chili to cover. Put some shredded cheese on top of each bun.
- Bake until the cheese is fully melted, about 5 minutes. Serve warm.