Happy Halloween!!!!! My kids are so excited, they’ve been counting down all week. We’re going to go trick or treating with our new friends. They know the great neighborhood to go to and where to get the best candy, plus, it’s always more fun with friends, right? My kids are usually so excited to get out and get some candy that getting them to eat some dinner before hand isn’t easy. Usually, they’ve already had candy from school and they are already all hopped up on sugar before the night stops. I have to give them a dinner that they can hold in one hand and walk around with or they won’t get anything BUT candy. These pretzel wrapped hot dogs are perfect! They are perfect for holding in their cute little hands as they get ready for a big night out of sugar hunting and crashing. I’m so glad I finally got around to making these.
Do you have those things that you put off because you feel like they’ll be hard to do? Anytime I see yeast in a recipe I put it off over and over and over again but then I finally get around to making it and it’s not hard at all! I don’t know what it is but I create a mental block for myself. The same applies to these pretzel dogs. I was walking home from the bus stop yesterday after see the boys off to school and my friend Elizabeth motivated me! She equated it to exercise and how once you get started it’s not bad. So not only did I get these pretzels made but I got a run in also! Way to motivate Elizabeth!!!
Real Housemoms TV
Seriously though, these pretzel wrapped hot dogs are easy to make. They can also be made ahead of time and kept in the fridge for a day or two and then reheated in the microwave when you’re ready to feed your little monsters. My husband and I love them too so they work for the whole family for dinner and THAT makes them even more awesome!
Have fun and be safe!!!
- 3/4 c milk
- 1/4 c water
- 1 1/2 T sugar
- 1 pkg active dry yeast
- 2 1/3 c all-purpose flour
- 2 T butter softened
- 1 1/4 t regular salt
- 8 frozen hot dogs
- 3 c hot water
- 1/2 c baking soda
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 T water
- course sea salt
- combine milk, water and sugar in a sauce pan and heat on low until the temp is between 110 and 115 degrees
- pour into a stand mixer bowl
- sprinkle yeast on top and allow to sit for 5 min
- in a med bowl combine flour, salt and butter
- using the hook attachment on your stand mixer slowly add the flour into the yeast mixture while mixing on slow
- continue on slow until all ingredients are combined and then crank up the speed to medium for about 8 minutes
- once the dough is smooth and pulls off the sides remove dough to a clean and dry counter
- knead a few times (dough should be slightly sticky) and form it into a ball
- place into a greased bowl and flip so that it is slightly oiled on all sides
- cover and place in a warm space until it doubles in size (1 hour)
- preheat oven to 450 degrees
- punch down pretzel dough and divide into 8 even balls
- removed hot dogs from freezer and remove any ice build up if any
- roll out dough into a long snake, like you do with play dough
- wrap each dough piece around each hot dog
- mix water and baking soda into a deep dish big enough to submerge the hot dogs
- dip hot dogs for 15 sec and place onto a paper towel
- place hot dogs on a baking sheet covered in parchment paper 2 inches apart
- combine egg and water in a small bowl and brush on pretzels
- sprinkle with salt (not too much as there is salt in the hot dogs)
- bake in the oven until dark golden brown, about 10-15 min
- remove to a cooling rack until they can be handled
- serve hot and enjoy!
Download your FREE copy of Dinner Made Easy!
Sign up to receive our newsletter and download your copy of Dinner Made Easy FREE! You'll get one email a week with our favorite recipes and tools to make life easy!