Now you can make the classic Soft Pretzels you crave at home from scratch with this super simple and delicious recipe!
Soft, fluffy, fresh baked Soft Pretzels will put your go-to mall food court pretzels to shame! This quick and easy recipe will make 8 mouth-watering pretzels to share with your family and friends.
MY FAVORITE KIND OF TWIST
I can’t help it, I’m a sucker for a warm soft pretzel! This easy soft baked pretzel recipe is my go-to snack recipe for football Sundays and lazy weekends at home with the family.
If you want other simple and shareable recipes then try Baked Club Sliders and Air Fryer Garlic Parmesan Chicken Wings!
OTHER RECIPES TO SERVE WITH SOFT PRETZELS
- Beer Cheese Dip – If you are serving homemade soft pretzels then a homemade cheese dip is a necessary companion!
- Loaded Potato Nachos – These hearty and savory nachos are a great addition to any appetizer table and a fan favorite every time I put them out.
Pretzel Dough: To make this homemade Soft Pretzel dough you will need warm water, granulated sugar, and sea salt. Then you will add yeast, flour, and oil to complete the dough.
Boil and Bake: To finish these Soft Pretzels you will need baking soda to add to water for boiling the pretzels in and a beaten egg for coating them for the oven. You can also add course salt if desired prior to placing them in the oven.
HOW TO MAKE SOFT PRETZELS
STEP ONE: Get out a stand mixer and stir together the warm water, sea salt, and granulated sugar in the stand mixer bowl. The sugar will dissolve in the warm water. Next, pour in the yeast and allow it to sit for 10 minutes until it starts to foam. Add in the flour and a tablespoon of oil and mix it together thoroughly for 3-5 minutes until the dough forms.
STEP TWO: Grease a medium-sized bowl with a tablespoon of vegetable oil or non-stick spray. Transfer the dough from the stand mixer bowl into the greased bowl. Shape the dough into a ball and loosely cover it with plastic wrap. Allow the dough to sit out at room temperature for 1 hour. As the hour nears an end, go ahead and preheat your oven to 450 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
STEP THREE: Transfer the dough to a lightly floured work surface and divide it into 8 even pieces using a dough scraper or a sharp knife. Use your hands to shape each piece of dough into a long strand, about 2 feet in length. Loop the hand-rolled dough under and around to create a pretzel shape.
STEP FOUR: In a separate large pot or deep pan, bring some water and 1/3 cup of baking soda to a boil. Place each pretzel in the water for 30 seconds on each side, and then move the boiled pretzels to the prepared baking sheet.
STEP FIVE: Lightly brush each pretzel with a beaten egg. Finally, sprinkle as much or as little coarse salt as you desire over each pretzel. Bake these delicious Soft Pretzels for 8-10 minutes until they are golden brown. Serve with your favorite dip or eat plain!
TIPS FOR SUCCESS
- If you don’t have a stand mixer, combine the dough ingredients in a large mixing bowl as directed. Once the dough starts to come together, turn it out onto a floured surface and knead by hand for 25 to 40 minutes. Then proceed with the recipe. (1 minute of stand mier kneading = 10 minutes of hand kneading.)
- I like to use a large, deep pan for boiling the pretzels. I can usually fit 3-4 pretzels in my largest pan at one time. A spider strainer works great for getting them out of the water.
- Wrap any leftover pretzels individually in plastic wrap and store them at room temperature. You can also freeze them!
WHAT TO DIP SOFT PRETZELS IN
I personally love a good cheese dip to pair with my Soft Pretzels. My personal favorites for dipping are Beer Cheese Dip or beefy Queso Dip. You can also browse these 25 Cheesy Dip Recipes for some great pretzel dipping ideas that are sure to impress.
HOW TO REHEAT SOFT PRETZELS
You can reheat these homemade Soft Pretzels in the microwave or the oven. For the microwave, wrap the pretzel in a damp paper towel. You can microwave the pretzel for 15 seconds and continue microwaving it in increments of 10 seconds until it has reached the desired temperature. To reheat a pretzel in the oven, first cover it with aluminum foil. Reheat it for 3-5 minutes at 350 degrees F or until it is the desired temperature.
OTHER EASY SNACKABLE RECIPES
- Bacon Jalapeno Popper Chicken Sliders
- Spinach Artichoke Pull Apart
- Cranberry BBQ Meatballs
- Chicken Artichoke Bites
- Pam’s Ugly Dip
- Avocado Fries
- In a stand mixer bowl, stir together the warm water, sugar, and salt until the sugar has dissolved.
- Pour in the yeast and allow it to sit for 10 minutes until it starts to foam.
- Add in the flour and olive oil and mix thoroughly until a dough forms. This may take about 3-5 minutes.
- Grease a medium bowl with some olive oil or non-stick spray. Transfer the dough to the bowl and shape it into a ball. Loosely cover the bowl with plastic and allow it to sit for 1 hour. Do not refrigerate, the dough needs to stay at room temperature.
- Preheat your oven to 450 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. With a sharp knife or a dough cutter, divide the dough into 8 even pieces. Between your hands roll the dough pieces into long snake-like strands, about 2 feet in length. Loop each strand under and around to create a pretzel shape.
- Add 1/3 cup baking soda to a large pot of water (a deep pan works too) and bring to a boil. Place each pretzel in the water for 30 seconds on each side. (I usually boil 4 at a time.)
- Move the boiled pretzels to the prepared baking sheet and brush lightly with a beaten egg. Sprinkle with as much or as little coarse salt as desired.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, until golden brown. Remove from the oven and let cool slightly before enjoying with your favorite dipping sauce.