Cheeseburger Egg Rolls are perfectly crisp in the air fryer! These homemade egg rolls are stuffed with ground beef & cheese for a tasty twist!
I’m always looking for new spins on classic dishes for my family, and these Air Fryer Cheeseburger Egg Rolls are one of my favorites! Serve these at a party with some buffalo chicken dip or as a quick and fun weeknight dinner.
AIR FRYER CHEESEBURGER EGG ROLLS
Like this recipe? Pin it to your APPETIZER board!
Follow Real Housemoms on Pinterest
Every time we visit Disney’s Magic Kingdom, we HAVE TO get cheeseburger spring rolls. It’s got tons of protein to get us through the park instead of some of the sugary options. Plus, no need to stop and eat!
These are super similar, but no need to spend thousands on a vacation! I love the homemade dipping sauce because it makes it taste JUST like a cheeseburger.
Why Do They Call Them Egg Rolls?
Everything gets its name for a reason, but there’s no clear reason why these delicious handheld appetizers that date back to the 1930s in New York are called egg rolls.
Some speculate that the dish we know now is a riff on a Chinese-American recipe that wraps chicken, ham, sprouts, and mushrooms in a super-thin omelet, so a literal egg roll.
Some say it’s because the wrappers were made with eggs, though most recipes don’t now. Or it could be because most are dipped in eggs or egg wash before frying for that golden brown, crunchy outside.
This cheeseburger egg rolls recipe has no eggs at all!
Air Fryer Cheeseburger Egg Roll Ingredients
EGG ROLL FILLING: These perfectly crispy air fryer egg rolls are packed with ground beef, cheddar cheese soup, onions, bacon bits, and a little steak seasoning. It’s perfect for those cold winter nights when you NEED a cheeseburger but the grill isn’t an option.
CHEESEBURGER EGG ROLL SAUCE: Egg rolls are always served with a dipping sauce that perfectly complements the filling. I like to mix equal parts of mayo, ketchup, and mustard for this sauce, which is similar to my fry sauce recipe!
Wrap it all up in egg roll wrappers, and you’re ready for a treat just like Disney’s cheeseburger egg rolls!
How to Make Cheeseburger Egg Rolls
- First, brown the ground beef in a large pan over medium heat. When it’s halfway done cooking, add the seasoning, onions, and bacon bits to the pan. Then you’ll continue cooking until the beef is browned and the onion have softened.
- Once the beef is fully cooked, add the cheddar cheese soup and remove the pan from the heat!
- To make easy bacon cheeseburger egg rolls, make sure you set up a rolling station! You’ll need the wrappers, the beef mixture, a small bowl of water, and a flat work surface. I usually just use a small plate.
- First, lay a wrapper flat and add a small bit of cheeseburger mix to the middle of the wrapper. Tuck one corner under the beef, then fold the edges to the left and right over the top. Seal your egg roll with a little water on your fingertips.
- Now, spray each egg roll with a little oil and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Put them in the air fryer basket — or on your tray! — and cook for about 12 minutes at 375 degrees F until crispy. Be sure to flip them halfway through for crunchiness on all sides.
- While they cook, mix together the ketchup, mustard, and mayonnaise for the cheeseburger egg roll sauce.
I like to serve these cheeseburger egg rolls warm with a little cup of dipping sauce per plate. You can also make this a party food appetizer with one big bowl of dipping sauce!
Is a spring roll and an egg roll the same thing?
My favorite part about going to a Chinese restaurant is the appetizers! There are so many unique options, including spring rolls and egg rolls. If they’re both rolls, how are they different?
Egg rolls and spring rolls can be filled with almost anything. The main difference is in the wrapper.
Spring rolls are encased in thin wrappers, usually made of flour or rice. Egg rolls are wrapped usually in wonton wrappers, which are slightly thicker, and dipped in egg before frying for a perfectly crunchy outside.
Frying is what gives egg rolls the bubbly exterior, too!
What is Typically in an Egg Roll?
Egg rolls are super popular in American Chinese restaurants. They’re the perfect appetizer while you wait for your main dishes.
Traditionally, egg rolls are stuffed with some sautéed cabbage, maybe some pork, and other veggies. However, you can put ANYTHING in an egg roll wrapper and fry it, just like this cheeseburger egg roll recipe.
More Asian-Inspired Recipes
- Roasted Miso Chicken
- Simple Lo Mein
- Thai Coconut Cocktail Meatballs
- Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- Pot Stickers
- More MAIN DISH recipes…
Tools used to make this Air Fryer Cheeseburger Egg Rolls recipe
Air fryer: You can deep fry these egg rolls, but I love how crunchy they are in the air fryer! Make sure not to overload your basket, and feel free to make these in batches.
Skillet: You need a deep, sturdy pan to make the cheeseburger egg roll filling without accidentally spilling any grease or cheese! This is one of my favorites.
- 1 pound ground beef
- ½ white onion diced
- 1 teaspoon steak seasoning
- 1 cup bacon bits (cooked, crumbled bacon)
- 10.5 ounce can cheddar cheese soup
- 8 egg roll wrappers
- Cooking spray
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- Place a large skillet over medium heat. Add ground beef and cook for about 5 minutes, until about halfway done. Add onions, steak seasoning, and bacon bits to the beef and cook until onions are soft and beef is browned, about 5 minutes. Remove skillet from heat and stir in cheddar cheese.
- Place an egg roll wrapper on a plate. Add about 1/4 cup of cheeseburger mixture to the center of the egg roll.
- Starting at one corner of the wrapper, roll the wrapper over the beef and then tuck the corner under the beef. Fold the two sides in (to the left and right of the first rolled side) and seal by dipping your finger in water and tracing it around the edges. Continue rolling the egg roll and seal the edges to complete. Repeat until all egg rolls are prepared.
- Coat both sides of the eggrolls with cooking spray and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Place egg rolls in air fryer basket.
- Set air fryer to 375 degrees F and cook for 12 minutes. If needed, flip half way through for even browning.
- While egg rolls are cooking, prepare burger sauce. Add mayo, ketchup, and mustard to a small bowl and whisk to combine. Serve egg rolls warm with burger sauce for dipping.