Light Crock Pot Tomato Bisque is an easy and delicious weeknight dinner idea you can throw in your slow cooker for a healthy meal your family will love!
Back in my college days, I busted my butt working to pay my way through school by serving at restaurants. I started out at a fantastic restaurant, Green Mill. This place has one of the best menus I have ever come across. They have so many fantastic options, it is hard to decide. I still love going back whenever I have the chance.
One of the perks of working in a restaurant, particularly as a poor college student, is free food! While you often had to pay for a normal menu meal, you would get a free soup of the day and a salad. Needless to say, that is what I ate just about every shift!
There was a rotation of good soups, but we all got the most excited when Tomato Bisque was on the menu. Their version is full of fat, but ohhhh so good. I still crave this amazing soup to this day, so I decided to recreate it in a lighter version. Not only did I lighten it up, but I tossed it in a Crock Pot to make it to make this one of my best crock pot recipes.
- 3 cans 14.5oz fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 2 c. chicken stock
- 1 carrot diced
- 1/2 red onion diced
- 1 c. mushrooms sliced
- 3 cloves garlic finely diced
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 oz. light cream cheese cubed
- 1/2 c. shredded Parmesan
- Toss everything in a crock pot, except the cream cheese and Parmesan. Cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- Add the cubed cream cheese to the pot and cook for an additional 20-30 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender, blend the soup in the Crock Pot until you reach your desired consistency. If you prefer a chunky soup as shown here, only give the soup a few passes with the blender. If you prefer a completely smooth soup, continue blending until it is smooth.
- Give the soup a good stir before serving and top each bowl with a sprinkle of Parmesan.
More healthy Crock Pot soups!