Jalapeno Popper Hot Dogs are a fusion of an original American street food and one of my all-time favorite appetizer recipes! These dogs are an easy dinner that’s on the table in less than 30 minutes and sure to become a family favorite!
We don’t eat hot dogs very often in our home, but when we do we go all out, full-on flavor explosion! I crave the spicy, cheesy, bacon-y goodness traditionally found in the Jalapeno Popper appetizer ALL the time, y’all! I’ve even stuffed this addictive flavor combo into mushrooms and deviled eggs too! Nothing is safe from me and my jalapeno and bacon obsession! So why not pair all this deliciousness with hot dogs?! I recommend using all natural beef hot dogs with no preservatives. They taste great and that unmistakable crunch when you bite into them is so satisfying!
I like to make hot dogs in a skillet. I use a cast-iron skillet, but any heavy bottom skillet will do. I also like to cook my hot dogs in a little butter for that extra somethin’ somethin’. It only takes about 5 to 6 minutes to get a nice crispy brown outside on the hot dogs, and while they are cooking it is a good time to mix up the Jalapeno Popper spread.
To make the spread, place the softened cream cheese, minced jalapenos, crumbled bacon, and shredded cheddar into a medium sized bowl…
mix until well combined…
Spread on hot dog buns…
Top with hot dog…
Add shredded cheddar cheese…
Melt the cheese under the broiler and garnish with freshly chopped cilantro. Serve with Baked Sweet Potato Fries and enjoy!
- 1 8 ounce package cream cheese, softened
- 1 tablespoon freshly minced jalapeno or to taste
- 3 tablespoons cooked bacon crumbled (or to taste)
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese shredded and divided
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 8 hot dogs cooked
- 8 hot dog buns
- cilantro for garnish optional
- In a skillet over mid-high heat, melt 2 tablespoons butter and place hot dogs in the skillet. Allow them to cook for 2-3 minutes or until they are nicely browned. Roll the hot dogs over to brown the other side - another 2-3 minutes or until they are browned to your liking.
- While the hot dogs are cooking, combine the 8 ounce package of cream cheese, 1 tablespoon jalapeno, 3 tablespoons crumbled bacon, and 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese in a medium bowl. Mix the ingredients together well. Add a pinch of salt and give it a taste. Adjust the seasonings as needed, adding pepper if needed. Because jalapenos can vary widely in heat level, be sure to add more if needed.
- Spread 1 to 2 tablespoons of the cream cheese mixture on each hot dog bun. Place a cooked hot dog in each bun and sprinkle on the remaining cheddar cheese, dividing it equally among all hot dogs.
- Place the hot dogs on a foil lined baking sheet and place them in the oven under the broiler. Remember to leave the oven door ajar when broiling and watch them closely. It will only take 30 seconds to a minute for the cheese to melt. When the cheese is melted to your liking, remove the baking sheet from the oven.
- Garnish the hot dogs with freshly chopped cilantro, serve, and enjoy!