These Lemon Meringue Cookies are the perfect summer treat. They’re light as a cloud with a bright lemony flavor!
I’ve told you all, I’m working on getting back down to a more healthy weight. It’s not easy, I mean you’ve seen the foods I’ve shared here on Real Housemoms, right? I once saw that someone searched bacon wrapped bacon and we came up! I love all kinds of food and sometimes I just need a sweet treat. I’ve found that as long as something has a flavor that really stands out it just hits the spot. I was at the store the other day with my husband and I saw some meringues and thought that is just was I need! For being mainly egg whites they can be a bit pricey so I decided to learn to make them myself.
My first batch were flat and chewy. I think I cooked them a bit too high and not long enough. Don’t get me wrong I still ate each and everyone, but I had to keep going to get them right. I’m glad I did. These delicious clouds are light and literally melt in you mouth! I had to put them away fast because I couldn’t stop eating them at all! My oldest son and I sat by the stove as soon as they came out and just kept popping them into our mouths. I’m telling you make these cookies and be happy!
- 2 eggs whites
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp lemon extract
- preheat the oven to 200 degrees
- line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper
- pour egg whites into the bowl of a stand mixer
- beat on medium speed until they become foamy
- add the salt and cream of tartar in and beat on high,
- as the eggs become thicker slowly sprinkle in the sugar just a bit at a time
- beat the eggs on high until they become shiny and stiff. when you lift the whisk the upside down the peak will stay
- carefully fold in the zest, vanilla, and lemon zest
- place a star tip in a piping bag
- fill piping bag
- pipe the egg whites onto the baking sheets, making them one inch
- place in the oven and bake for 2 hours
- remove from the oven and allow to cool
Download your FREE copy of Dinner Made Easy!
Sign up to receive our newsletter and download your copy of Dinner Made Easy FREE! You'll get one email a week with our favorite recipes and tools to make life easy!