These Lemon Meringue Cookies are the perfect summer treat. They’re light as a cloud with a bright lemony flavor!
I’ve told you all, I’m working on getting back down to a more healthy weight. It’s not easy, I mean you’ve seen the foods I’ve shared here on Real Housemoms, right? I once saw that someone searched bacon wrapped bacon and we came up! I love all kinds of food and sometimes I just need a sweet treat. I’ve found that as long as something has a flavor that really stands out it just hits the spot. I was at the store the other day with my husband and I saw some meringues and thought that is just was I need! For being mainly egg whites they can be a bit pricey so I decided to learn to make them myself.
My first batch were flat and chewy. I think I cooked them a bit too high and not long enough. Don’t get me wrong I still ate each and everyone, but I had to keep going to get them right. I’m glad I did. These delicious clouds are light and literally melt in you mouth! I had to put them away fast because I couldn’t stop eating them at all! My oldest son and I sat by the stove as soon as they came out and just kept popping them into our mouths. I’m telling you make these cookies and be happy!
- preheat the oven to 200 degrees
- line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper
- pour egg whites into the bowl of a stand mixer
- beat on medium speed until they become foamy
- add the salt and cream of tartar in and beat on high,
- as the eggs become thicker slowly sprinkle in the sugar just a bit at a time
- beat the eggs on high until they become shiny and stiff. when you lift the whisk the upside down the peak will stay
- carefully fold in the zest, vanilla, and lemon zest
- place a star tip in a piping bag
- fill piping bag
- pipe the egg whites onto the baking sheets, making them one inch
- place in the oven and bake for 2 hours
- remove from the oven and allow to cool