Cinnamon Roll Waffles are two favorite breakfast foods merged into one! Crisp, warm homemade waffles are topped with a sweet cinnamon swirl and lip-smacking cream cheese icing for a breakfast even teenagers will wake for!
Ok…I admit, my cinnamon swirl is much less of a swirl and more like a blob, but how could I help myself with so much yummy goodness? haha Seriously, you NEED to make these waffles for yourself and those that you love! They are absolutely delicious. They will transport breakfast from the ordinary to the extraordinary.
While I enjoy making waffles from scratch, if you are not a “from scratch” kind of cook you could take a few shortcuts. If you don’t own a waffle maker, you could use store-bought frozen waffles and just make the toppings or use the toppings on pancakes instead of waffles. If you’d rather use a boxed waffle mix, you can do that too…because it’s the toppings that make these waffles so special! That’s one of the things I love about this recipe. It’s a great recipe for the experienced cook as well as the novice cook.
Since these waffles are a sweet treat, I suggest you serve some crispy bacon or spicy breakfast sausage alongside them for a perfect meal. I love that you can do some of the prep work ahead of time for these waffles too! With back-to-school right around the corner, easy recipes you can prep ahead for busy mornings are a must! With this recipe you can prepare the cinnamon topping and the cream cheese icing the night before to help make the cooking process go smoother on busy mornings. Just zap both in the microwave for a few seconds before topping your waffles or pancakes.
If you are a fan of cinnamon rolls and waffles, you have to put this recipe on your menu! I was in love with it with my first bite and you will be too!
- Prepare the waffles: Preheat waffle iron according to manufactures instructions.
- In large bowl, combine the flour, 1 TBS sugar, baking soda and salt.
- In another large bowl or large glass measure, combine the milk, buttermilk, 1/4 cup melted butter, and egg yolks, Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and whisk to combine.
- With an electric mixer, whip the egg whites until stiff peaks form. Fold into waffle batter.
- Cook waffles in waffle iron according to manufactures instructions. Keep warm in low oven.
- Prepare the cinnamon topping: Combine the brown sugar, 1/2 cup melted butter, and cinnamon. Set aside.
- Prepare the cream cheese icing: With an electric mixer, beat the cream cheese and butter in a large bowl. Add in the salt and powdered sugar and beat until combined. Add in the vanilla extract. Add in enough milk to thin icing so that you can pour or drizzle it. Set aside.
- To serve: Top warm waffles with a swirl of cinnamon topping followed by a drizzle of cream cheese icing. Serve immediately.
Adapted from Allrecipes
Hungry for more? Give this a try!