Low Carb “Fried” Pickles are a tasty and healthy appetizer. These easy oven-fried pickles are just as delicious as the original – with only a fraction of the carbs! They’re amazing dipped in ranch dressing and perfect for game day!
Low Carb Fried Pickles are the best thing to happen to game day since, well, fried pickles! Now that we’re in the thick of football season, I’ve been obsessed with making my favorite easy appetizers without having to deep fry them!
Sausage dip and chicken wings are in regular rotation on the weekends, but sometimes you just need to add a healthy option to the tailgate spread. I love fried pickles but not all the fat that comes from deep-frying! Let me tell you, these homemade fried pickles are baked in the oven but still just as crispy!
LOW CARB “FRIED” PICKLES
Like this recipe? Pin it to your APPETIZERS pinboard!
Follow Real Housemoms on Pinterest
Low Carb “Fried” Pickles are tasty and so easy to make! They’re the most poppable appetizer, seriously addicting guys, but they make a totally delicious addition to your lunch too. Add them to a burger or serve them alongside a wrap and your friends and family will declare you a lunch rockstar, YUM!
And the best part? They only take a few minutes to whip up!
The secret to making this fried pickle recipe low carb is in the breading. Almond flour, Parmesan cheese, and taco seasoning combine for a coating that’s not only low in carbohydrates but completely addicting too! Trust me you won’t miss the carbs!
Ingredients in Oven-Fried Pickles
- Dill pickle chips
- Heavy cream
- Parmesan cheese
- Almond flour (or almond meal)
- Taco seasoning
- Salt & pepper
Be sure to choose an almond flour or almond meal that’s super finely ground for the perfect crunchy coating. If you don’t have the taco seasoning you can substitute 1 teaspoon each of garlic powder and onion powder, 1/2 a teaspoon of salt and cayenne pepper for a little kick!
I love that there is no hot oil in this recipe. No splatters to burn you makes me a very happy cook and I get to save all the calories of the vegetable oil.
How to Make Fried Pickles
- Start by turning your oven’s broiler to high.
- Beat together your eggs, cream, and water in a bowl. You’ll dip the pickles in this concoction before breading them.
- Combine the bread crumbs, Parmesan, and taco seasoning in another bowl. This mixture creates the most delicious low carb crust!
- Lay your sliced pickles out on a paper towel to drain off some of the excess moisture. Then roll them in the almond flour mixture and shake off the excess.
- After they’re coated in the breading, dunk them in the egg mixture. Then they go back into the almond flour breading for a final coating.
- Lay the coated pickles out on a baking sheet lined with foil and sprayed with cooking spray.
- Broil the pickles in the oven for 3 to 5 minutes per side until they’re golden brown. Serve these pickles chips warm or at room temperature with your favorite ranch dressing, hot sauce, or keto dipping sauce.
Sometimes I stir a little hot sauce into the ranch and oh my gosh, it is SO good with these pickles!!
If you want a bigger pickle taste, substitute spears instead! You’ll want to broil them for 5 to 7 minutes instead. I love using homemade Refrigerator Pickles for fried pickle spears.
How many carbs are there in pickles?
For this homemade fried pickle recipe, you’ll want to choose dill pickles. Dills have only 1 to 1.5 grams of carbs per serving.
Another variety such as sweet pickles, bread and butter pickles, etc. are going to have a higher amount of carbs. Roughly 9 to 10 grams per serving.
Are Fried Pickles Keto?
It depends! Your average restaurant fried dill pickle is usually coated in a floury breading that is far from low carb. But not to worry! The ingredients in this fried pickle recipe are keto-friendly!
These keto fried pickles yield only 2 carbs per serving, making them a great option for anyone following a keto diet!
More delicious low carb options!
- Cauliflower Pizza Crust
- Garlic Butter Pork Chops
- Low Carb Cauliflower Breadsticks
- Asparagus Fries
- Keto Chocolate Chip Cookie Fat Bombs
- More APPETIZER recipes…
Tools used to make this Low Carb Fried Pickles recipe
Baking Sheet: This stainless steel baking sheet is one of my favorite items in my whole kitchen! It’s ideal for broiling and baking a variety of appetizers, main dishes, and sheet pan dinners.
Mixing Bowl Set: These glass mixing bowls are a staple for any kitchen. Use them for dredging oven-fried vegetables and meats, then nestle them together for easy storage in your cupboard.
*This post originally posted on 06/05/2013.
- Preheat your oven's broiler to high.
- In a mixing bowl, beat together eggs, cream, and water.
- To a second mixing bowl, add Parmesan cheese, almond flour, and taco seasoning. Use a fork to stir until evenly combined.
- Spread out the pickle chips on a paper towel.
- Dredge the pickle chips in the almond/cheese mixture, then dunk in the egg wash, and return to the cheese mixture for a final coating.
- Place the coated pickles on a foil-lined baking sheet, coated with non-stick cooking spray. (You can skip the foil and cooking spray and use parchment paper instead, if you prefer.)
- Broil for 3 to 5 minutes on each side, until golden brown.
- Serve with ranch dressing or your dip of choice.
Download your FREE copy of Dinner Made Easy!
Sign up to receive our newsletter and download your copy of Dinner Made Easy FREE! You'll get one email a week with our favorite recipes and tools to make life easy!