Break out your crockpot to make this Slow Cooker Mediterranean Chicken! Chicken thighs slow cooked with tomatoes and olives for a easy dinner that is ready when you get home!
Well, it took a little longer than usual but here in Maryland we’ve hit the dog days of summer. It has been hot and muggy, the kind of weather that really doesn’t make you want to spend much of time in the kitchen with the oven on. I know a lot of people only think about using their slow cookers during the cooler months but now is the perfect time to break them out and make the best crock pot recipes. You can keep your kitchen cool (and spend less time in it!) and still have a delicious meal at the end of the day.
Real Housemoms TV
Last weekend I pulled out my Crock-Pot and made this Slow Cooker Mediterranean Chicken. I used bone-in chicken thighs with the skin on because they have so much more flavor when you cook them all day, but you can use any cut of chicken you like for this recipe. It did take a few minutes of stove top cooking to brown the chicken and cook the onions, but it is totally worth it. Browned chicken has so much more flavor, and if you are using chicken with the skin on you’ll want to brown it just to render out some of the fat and get the skin crispy. Once I had my chicken browned I put it to the side and added onions and a little white wine to the pan, letting it cook on high heat until the wine was reduced by half. You can skip this if you don’t like to use wine in your cooking.
When everything was ready I poured crushed tomatoes, Kalamata olives, fresh oregano, garlic, and the sauteed onions and white wine into the slow cooker. I stirred everything around, nestled the chicken thighs into the sauce, and set the slow cooker to cook for 4 hours on high. Then I headed to the pool for the afternoon!
When I got home the house smelled amazing. All of the flavors had melded together into a rich and tangy sauce and the chicken was so tender I could easily pull it away from the bone with a fork. I served it over cooked orzo pasta and garnished it with feta cheese and a little fresh oregano. A great end to a hot (but fun) day and it took almost no work!
Get more great recipes like this one on our Real Housemoms Dinner pin board!
- 4 Chicken Thighs bone-in, with skin
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Medium Onion diced
- 1 c White Wine
- 28 oz. can Crushed Tomatoes
- 1 c Kalamata Olives
- 4 cloves Garlic
- 1 Tbsp Fresh Oregano
- 2 tsp Salt divided
- Heat pan and add olive oil.
- Use 1 tsp of salt to slat the chicken thighs then place them into hot pan skin side down.
- Brown chicken on each side for 3-5 minutes or until skin begins to get crispy.
- Once chicken is browned remove and set it to the side.
- Add onion to the pan and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add white wine to the pan and continue to cook on high until liquid is reduced by half.
- Combine onion mixture, crushed tomatoes, olives, oregano, garlic, and salt to the slow cooker and stir to combine.
- Place chicken thighs into the sauce and cover.
- Cook on HIGH for 4 hours.
- Serve over pasta with feta cheese for garnish.
If you enjoyed that recipe make sure you try:
Download Your Free Copy!
Download your FREE copy of Dinner Made Easy!
Sign up to receive our newsletter and download your copy of Dinner Made Easy FREE! You'll get one email a week with our favorite recipes and tools to make life easy!