Refrigerator Pickles are an easy to make snack or appetizer that uses a few simple ingredients and are the perfect addition to your summer BBQ!
Summer is here and that means that it’s time to BBQ! Break out the ultimate burger recipe, pasta salads, Deviled Eggs, and of course your favorite pickles for a fresh and crunchy bite. Did you know that you can create your own dill pickle spears at home? Just a few simple ingredients and some English cucumber spears in mason jars plus a little time and you might never go back to store-bought pickles again!
Like this recipe? Pin it to your APPETIZER pinboard!
Follow Real Housemoms on Pinterest
MY LATEST VIDEOS
My family loves fridge pickles! I don’t know what it is about these salty little snacks, but they’re the perfect addition to just about anything you’re making this summer!
And while sure, it’s easy to grab a jar at the grocery store, there’s just something about homemade, right? All you need are some English cucumbers, water, vinegar, pickling or kosher salt, peppercorns and fresh dill sprigs. I love being able to customize the recipe to your own taste. Try this recipe but then tweak the next time around: add more dill or more garlic, test out different spices, whatever your fancy!
Can you use apple cider vinegar for pickles
- Yes, you can substitute apple cider vinegar for white vinegar in this recipe. Apple cider vinegar has a more mellow, fruity flavor, but it does tend to darken the pickles some.
How to make refrigerator pickles
- Create brine of water, vinegar, pickling salt, garlic, and peppercorns.
- Cut English cucumber into spears to fit into pint-sized mason jars.
- Fill mason jars with cucumber spears and sprigs of fresh dill.
- Pour brine over cucumber spears, add a lid to the mason jar and refrigerate for 1-2 days then enjoy!
These may not exactly be quick refrigerator pickles, but they are 100% worth the wait. If you want an option for the same day, my cucumber & onion salad is ready in about 8 hours. It’s a quick pickle recipe you can make the night before and have ready to go!
How long can I keep refrigerator pickles in the fridge
- You can wait up to 2 weeks before diving into these pickles. The longer you wait the better they get.
- These pickles will keep for 3-4 months in the fridge.
Refrigerator dill pickles are perfect companions to hamburgers and hot dogs off the grill: salty, crunchy and delicious. So invite the crew over for a bbq and surprise your guests with these zesty homemade snacks! You better believe they’ll be asking for this recipe before they leave.
Want more cucumber recipes?
- Low Carb “Fried” Pickles
- Cucumber Yogurt Dill Salad
- Cucumber Sandwiches
- Cucumber Mint Mojito
- Creamy Cucumbers
- More appetizer recipes…
Tools used to make this Refrigerator Pickles recipe
Knives: A good set of kitchen knives is essential for any cook. This set is the best one I’ve owned so far and it comes with a knife block, steak knives, and an array of larger knives perfect for all your slicing, chopping, and cutting needs.
Cutting Board: A good-sized cutting board is a must for home cooks. This board is thick & sturdy and makes recipe prep a breeze.
Measuring Cup with Pour Spout: Glass measuring cups are a kitchen tool everyone needs. This set makes sure you can measure exactly how much liquid you need for your recipe and they last practically forever!
Mason Jars: Mason jars are great for storing everything from salad dressing and coffee creamers to overnight oats and all kinds of delicious make ahead dishes!
- 2 English cucumbers
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 3 tbsp white vinegar
- 1 1/2 tbsp kosher salt (or pickling salt)
- 2 tsp peppercorns
- 2 tbsp garlic minced
- 6 sprigs fresh dill
- Create brine of water, white vinegar, pickling or kosher salt, peppercorns and garlic.
- Cut English cucumbers into spears to fit into two pint-sized mason jars.
- Fill mason jars with cucumber spears and fresh dill sprigs.
- Pour brine over cucumber spears then seal mason jars with mason jar lids.
- Place jars in the refrigerator for 1-2 days before enjoying.
Download Your Free Copy!
Download your FREE copy of Dinner Made Easy!
Sign up to receive our newsletter and download your copy of Dinner Made Easy FREE! You'll get one email a week with our favorite recipes and tools to make life easy!