This ITALIAN STYLE CREAMY CORN CASSEROLE RECIPE is not your grandmother’s corn casserole!
With an abundance of end of summer corn being sold at local grocery stores and farmers markets, it is only natural that corn casseroles have become the unofficial side dish of fall. Creamy and comforting, a homemade corn casserole often makes an appearance alongside a pot of hearty chili or as a classic side dish for the Thanksgiving dinner table in our home. Usually, we stick to a tried & true corn pudding type casserole for the fall time, but this year I decided to kick up this family favorite side dish just a notch with some classic Italian flavors like crispy pancetta, shaved Parmesan cheese, sun-dried tomatoes, and a little fresh basil.
MY LATEST VIDEOS
While I would definitely classify this Italian Style Creamy Corn Casserole Recipe as one of my easy casserole recipes, it is sort of a cross between a corn pudding and a cornbread. Definitely creamy, but it holds it shape when you dish it out and doesn’t spread all over the plate like some corn casseroles do. But the flavors are what really make this side dish stand out. The salty pancetta paired with the sweet corn and the creamy Parmesan cheese with the slight tang from the sun dried tomatoes? Corn casserole heaven, folks.
If you like this recipe, be sure to try our other easy casserole recipes!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 oz. pancetta diced
- 1 cup sun-dried tomatoes chopped & rehydrated
- 1 cup Instant polenta
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 1/2 cups frozen or fresh corn kernels
- 8-10 fresh basil leaves chopped
- 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp shaved or shredded Parmesan cheese
- Preheat your oven yo 425 degrees.
- Heat the olive oil in a 12 inch cast iron skillet. Once heated, add the diced pancetta and cook until browned and crispy, about 5 minutes. Transfer the pancetta from the pan to a paper-towel-lined plate using a slotted spoon set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the instant polenta, baking powder, and salt. Add in the eggs, sour cream, and heavy cream and mix well. Fold in the corn kernels, chopped basil, sun-dried tomatoes, and 1/2 cup of Parmesan cheese. Spread the batter evenly into the same skillet you used to crisp the pancetta.
- Top with the browned pancetta and the remaining 2 tbsp of Parmesan cheese. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until set and lightly golden brown around the edges.
- Allow to cool for 5-10 minutes, and then serve.
If you loved this recipe post, you might also like my…
Download Your Free Copy!
Download your FREE copy of Dinner Made Easy!
Sign up to receive our newsletter and download your copy of Dinner Made Easy FREE! You'll get one email a week with our favorite recipes and tools to make life easy!