Quick and easy Drop Biscuits are perfect for breakfast or dinner and can be made with ingredients that you already have in your cupboards!
Fluffy, homemade, perfectly golden Drop Biscuits will have you asking yourself why you ever made biscuits from a tube. These biscuits from scratch are super easy to throw together and with just 5 ingredients they can be ready in less than 30 minutes!
AMAZING DROP BISCUITS FROM SCRATCH
Drop biscuits are seriously the easiest to make and the yummiest addition to any meal! This simple recipe can be adapted and reinvented to create some delicious variations!
OTHER RECIPES TO SERVE WITH DROP BISCUITS
- Sausage Gravy – This hearty breakfast gravy goes perfectly on top of a fresh homestyle biscuit.
- Bacon Gravy – Southern bacon gravy is a classic comfort food made even better when you use these quick drop biscuits.
Dry Ingredients: Good news is that you already have all of these ingredients in your pantry. Just grab the all-purpose flour, baking powder, and salt.
Wet Ingredients: In addition to milk you will need unsalted butter for the biscuit dough and salted butter to melt and brush over the baked biscuits.
HOW TO MAKE DROP BISCUITS
STEP ONE: Start by preheating the oven to 400 degrees F and lining a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat. Now grab a large mixing bowl and whisk together the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, and salt). Once you mix the dry ingredients, use a pastry cutter to cut the butter into the flour mix. The butter should be worked into pea-sized balls. Be careful not to over-mix the ingredients.
STEP TWO: Next, fold the milk into the dough mixture until it is just combined. Again, be careful not to over-mix or your biscuits may lose their desired texture. At this point, the dough should be thick and sticky.
STEP THREE: Now use a large cookie scoop and drop the biscuit dough onto the prepared baking sheet 2-3 inches apart. The biscuits will bake for 12 to 15 minutes. Allow the biscuits to cool for about 5 minutes. Next, use a pastry brush to coat the tops with melted salted butter for the perfect finish! They will keep for up to 3 days in an airtight container.
TIPS FOR SUCCESS
- For cheesy drop biscuits, add 1/2 cup of shredded cheese to the dough after stirring in the milk.
- You can use this easy drop biscuit recipe to make a sweet dessert too! Just brush honey butter or unsalted butter on top and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar. YUM!
WHAT ARE DROP BISCUITS
Drop biscuit dough is made with more milk are is too moist to be rolled out or kneaded. Because of the texture of this dough, all you need to do is drop it onto a baking sheet and stick it in the oven. These biscuits are a little less uniform, lumpier, and don’t rise as much as traditional biscuits.
HOW CAN I USE DROP BISCUITS
These biscuits are the best because they go well with any meal- day or night! You can serve them buttered on the side of any breakfast platter or even use them to make homemade breakfast sandwiches. They are a treat alongside any savory dinner entree, especially barbecue! Last, they make phenomenal “shortcake” desserts when topped with fresh fruit and whipped cream.
OTHER DELICIOUS SIDE DISHES
- Low Carb Cauliflower Bread Sticks
- Ricotta Parmesan Garlic Bread
- Air Fryer Parmesan Zucchini
- Asparagus Fries
- Mamaw’s Rolls
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- Using a pastry cutter or a fork, cut the butter into the flour mixture until butter is worked into pea-sized balls.
- Fold the milk into the batter just until combined, being careful not to overmix. The dough should look sticky and thick.
- Using a large cookie scoop (about 3 tablespoons), drop biscuits 2-3 inches apart on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for 5 minutes before brushing the tops with melted butter.