Sweet and creamy Hot Chocolate Muddy Buddies are a holiday twist on a classic that is perfect for entertaining or gifting this season!
Sweet, crunchy, and totally addicting, these Hot Chocolate Muddy Buddies will knock your classic recipe into second place this holiday season! Your guests won’t know what hit them when they taste these traditional Muddy Buddy flavors infused with creamy marshmallow fluff and rich hot cocoa powder.
YOUR NEW FAVORITE MIX
This new take on classic Muddy Buddies might just make you everyone’s favorite host or hostess this year! These extra creamy and chocolatey bites will have everyone asking you what you did to make this addicting mix so dang snackable!
OTHER RECIPES TO SERVE WITH HOT CHOCOLATE MUDDY BUDDIES
- Christmas Wreath Cookies – If you love the ease making desserts with cereal than you’re going to love these easy to make cookies.
- Icebox Christmas Cookies – This recipe is the absolute best for entertaining because it is a 4-in-1 cookie recipe!
- Christmas Crack – Easy to make and easier to eat, this simple dessert is great for holiday parties!
Cereal: Start with 10 cups of Rice Chex cereal
Muddy Coating: For the sticky, muddy coating you will melt together butter, chocolate chips, and peanut butter. The secret ingredient however is marshmallow fluff!
Dry Ingredients: For this recipe, you will coat the muddy buddies in a mix of powdered sugar and hot chocolate mix.
Mix-ins: To finalize this awesome treat you will mix in Snow Caps candies and mini marshmallows.
HOW TO MAKE MUDDY BUDDIES
STEP ONE: Add the chocolate chips, butter, and peanut butter together in a microwave-safe bowl. Melt these ingredients by microwaving them in 30-second intervals and stirring them between each round. Continue until the chocolate peanut butter blend is smooth and melted. Finally, stir in the marshmallow fluff until it is fully incorporated.
STEP THREE: Grab the Ziploc bag with Chex cereal and add the chocolate mixture to it. Seal and shake the bag until the cereal is fully coated. After the cereal is coated add in the powdered sugar mixture and continue to shake until the cereal is fully coated.
STEP FIVE: Transfer the muddy buddies to a large bowl and add the mix-ins. Stir everything together and then portion out the Hot Chocolate Muddy Buddies into individual bowls or mugs or serve it in the big mixing bowl.
TIPS FOR SUCCESS
- You can easily substitute in semi-sweet chocolate chips and/or salted butter without much change to the outcome of the recipe.
- You can use any brand of hot cocoa mix, but be sure to add in at least 1 1/2 ounces for the best flavor outcome.
WHAT ARE MUDDY BUDDIES MADE OF
Muddy Buddies (sometimes referred to as Puppy Chow) are a no-bake dessert consisting of Chex cereal that has been coated in melted butter, chocolate, and peanut butter and covered in a dusting of powdered sugar. Typically the coated Chex cereal will be accompanied by add-ins, such as salty pretzel bites, M&Ms, nuts, sprinkles, candies, or marshmallows. The endless combinations and variations make this the perfect sweet snack for any occasion!
HOW LONG CAN YOU STORE MUDDY BUDDIES
Store this Hot Chocolate Muddy Buddy mix in an airtight container at room temperature. This mix will last for up a week, but the marshmallows may begin to stale after a few days. You can refrigerate this mix if you prefer to extend the shelf life a couple of days. Make sure that Muddy Buddies are completely cool before bagging or storing them. Any heat in the storage container will cause condensation and make your mix soggy.
OTHER HOLIDAY FAVORITES
- Chocolate Frosted Christmas Cookies
- Christmas Tree Brownies
- Apple Cider Muffins
- Holiday Sangria
- Pumpkin Pie
- Pecan Pie
- Add the cereal to a large container (with cover) or a 2-gallon Ziploc bag, set aside.
- In a medium microwave-safe bowl, melt the chocolate chips, butter, and peanut butter together at 30-second intervals, stirring between each one until melted and smooth. Stir in the marshmallow fluff until fully incorporated.
- In a separate large mixing bowl, whisk together the hot cocoa mix and powdered sugar.
- Add the chocolate and peanut butter mixture to the bag with the cereal. Seal the bag and shake until the cereal is fully coated.
- Then add the powdered sugar mixture to the bag, seal, and shake until fully coated.
- Place two wire racks on two large baking sheets and spread the muddy buddies out to cool. Allow them to cool for about 30 minutes.
- Transfer the muddy buddies to a bowl and stir in the Sno-Caps and mini marshmallows. Store for up to 2 days in an airtight container.