Sweet and crunchy Easter Bunny Chow is the perfect spring treat. Your favorite bunnies will love to help you create and eat this yummy mix!
There are two non-negotiable springtime treats in my house. Delicious homemade Reese’s Easter eggs and this super fun Easter Bunny Chow recipe. If Santa gets a plate of freshly baked cookies every year, it is only fair that the Easter Bunny should be rewarded for all of his hard work too.
EASTER BUNNY CHOW
Like this recipe? Pin it to your DESSERT board!
Follow Real Housemoms on Pinterest
Looking for the perfect bunny chow recipe for Easter? This one is my favorite! You can make these Easter Bunny muddy buddies super cute and festive by adding pastel-colored M&M’s and mini marshmallows. The vibrant pop of color makes this mix the perfect party snack and is a great gift idea too!
EASTER BUNNY CHOW INGREDIENTS
This Bunny Chow mix is super easy to make! It can also be a wonderful gluten-free snack. Be careful when selecting the white chocolate though, not all varieties are gluten-free.
Rice Chex Cereal: Chex cereal comes in a ton of different varieties these days! There are wheat and corn Chex, as well as specialty flavors. This Easter Bunny Chow recipe calls for good old-fashioned Rice Chex. Rice Chex is also gluten-free!
Peanut Butter: Any brand of peanut butter will work for this recipe. It is also possible to substitute other nut or seed butter. I recommend sticking with peanut butter because it has the best consistency and the flavor is less likely to be overshadowed entirely by the chocolate.
White Chocolate: Using white chocolate gives this Easter Bunny Chow the perfect snowy white coloring to really enhance the pop of the pastel add-ins. If you prefer, milk or dark chocolate is a perfectly acceptable substitute. If you are going for a gluten-free bunny chow, you may opt to steer clear of white chocolate as some varieties can contain gluten.
Pastel Peanut M&M’s: M&M’s always come in colorful pastel pieces during the spring season. They add the perfect splash of color to this mix. Feel free to use whatever candy-coated chocolate variety you prefer. Sometimes I do a mix of my favorite Peanut and Peanut Butter M&M’s because I love them both equally and can never seem to choose!
Mini Marshmallows: Regular white mini marshmallows are my go-to for this recipe. You can also find colored mini marshmallows which look great, but be aware that oftentimes they are fruit-flavored. If you do not have experience with these fruit-flavored mallows, you may want to play it safe and stick to traditional white!
HOW TO MAKE EASTER BUNNY CHOW
My kids used to love to help me with this Easter Bunny Chow recipe and now I love to watch them make it!
- First, start by melting your white chocolate. You can do this in a microwave-safe bowl or in a double boiler. Whichever method you prefer.
- Once the chocolate is melted, mix in the peanut butter and stir it together until it is fully incorporated.
- Next, add in the Rice Chex cereal. I personally will hold about a cup of the Chex cereal at first just to make sure the chocolate/peanut butter to cereal ratio is correct. You can always add more cereal, but it is harder to correct if you add too much right off the bat.
- When the cereal is evenly coated, transfer it to a large ziplock bag and add in the powdered sugar. Shake the bag vigorously until all the cereal is evenly coated.
- Once the Easter Bunny Chow is coated, spread it out on a large baking sheet to allow the chocolate to harden.
- Add in your pastel-colored candies and mini marshmallows to the mix and serve in a party-sized bowl or wrap them in individual bags for a deliciously giftable treat!
HOW LONG DOES EASTER BUNNY CHOW LAST?
Easter Bunny muddy buddies will last for up to a week after you make them. Just be sure to store your bunny chow in an airtight container. You can also store this puppy chow in the refrigerator, especially if the weather is warm. You can eat refrigerated chow chilled or bring it back up to room temperature for snacking!
TRY THESE OTHER SPRINGTIME DESSERTS
- Carrot Cake Muffins with Cream Cheese Filling
- Lemon Lime Layer Cake
- Carrot Cake Pancakes
- Lemon Sugar Cookies
- Carrot Strawberries
- More DESSERT recipes…
TOOLS USED TO MAKE THIS EASTER BUNNY CHOW RECIPE
Large Mixing Bowl: It is important to have plenty of room to mix and stir if you want to create the most epic Easter Bunny Chow!
Rubber Spatula: Whenever I am dealing with anything ooey or gooey, I bust out a trustworthy rubber spatula to help me get the job done.
Large Ziplock Bags: Using a large Ziplock is the best, and most fun, way to coat every inch of these Easter Bunny muddy buddies in snowy powdered sugar!
- Place peanut butter, chocolate chips, and butter into a microwave-safe bowl. Heat for 30 seconds and then stir. Repeat until melted and smooth. (You could also do this in a saucepan over low heat.)
- Place the rice Chex in a large mixing bowl. Pour the melted peanut butter mixture over the cereal. Stir until completely coated
- Transfer the cereal to a gallon-sized food storage bag. Add the powdered sugar and seal the bag. Shake until the cereal is coated in sugar.
- Pour puppy chow into a serving bowl. Add in the M&Ms and marshmallows and stir to combine.
- Serve immediately or store in an air-tight container until ready to enjoy.