Crabby Totchos are crispy tater tots smothered with a creamy, Maryland style crab dip, cheddar cheese, scallions and Maldon Sea Salt. Perfect for a quick meal or entertaining!
Have you ever heard of a “totcho?” Many people have not and the term is relatively new, only hitting the urban dictionary in the last few years. However, the concept of the totcho has been around for at least two decades here in Maryland and probably at other trailblazing spots across the United States. Today, I’m sharing my favorite totchos ever, Crabby Totchos! The crispy tater tots and sweet crab got great together, and smother it all in cheese and you’ll be in snack food heaven!
Like this recipe? Pin it to your APPETIZER pin board!
Follow Real Housemoms on Pinterest
Totcho is the combination of two words: tot (as in tater) and nacho. Tater tots that are prepared like nachos, smothered with fixings and cheese. There are endless variations with the traditional nachos topping being the most popular: shredded chicken, pico de gallo, nacho cheese sauce, sour cream, and guacamole, but then we break out into the gourmet totcho, if you will.
Gourmet totchos, such as Crabby Totchos are tots topped with the unexpected, although usually another familiar dip. The most popular are Buffalo Chicken, Spinach and Artichoke and of course, Crabby Totcho, which is hot crab dip with oodles of extra cheese.
Totchos come out best when the tater tots are fried. I know this extra step is a lot more than most people want to take considering when I make totchos, the whole point is to be speedy. So instead, I usually bake mine and then let them crisp up under the broiler to give a quasi-fried crispness. The crisp factor is key because if you start with soggy tater tots, then the cheesy crab dip will only make them soggier. Start with semi crisp tots and the texture will be just right. Call me the Goldilocks of totchos.
And if you enjoy these super easy Crabby Totchos, you’ll love my Copycat In-n-Out Burger Animal Style Fries, another loaded spud topped delicacy!
Want more crab recipes?
- Jalapeno Crab Dip
- Crab Rangoon
- Quinoa Crab Cakes
- Crock Pot Artichoke Crab Dip
- Crab, Pea & Bacon Salad
- More appetizer recipes…
Tools used to make this Crabby Totchos recipe
Baking Sheet: A nice big baking sheet is a must have for any kitchen. This half pan sheet is large than a regular cookie and works great for anything you’re baking.
- 32 ounces frozen tater tots
- 2 cups creamy crab dip
- ½ cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 2 tablespoons scallions
- Pinch of Maldon Salt for garnish and flavor
- Prepare frozen tater tots according to package directions, either bake or fry. If you bake, put them under the broiler for a bit to crisp them up.
- Remove from oven and arrange in a pile in the center of your baking sheet or whichever serving dish your totchos will be in. Top generously with creamy crab dip, then cheddar cheese.
- Broil totchos for 3-4 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Remove and top with scallions and Malden salt. Serve immediately, Totchos are best served hot!