If you love BBQ chicken pizza, this warm and melty BBQ Chicken Stuffed Bread will surely be your new favorite weeknight dinner recipe!
This super easy BBQ Chicken Stuffed Bread is made with warm, flakey pizza dough stuffed with sweet, shredded BBQ chicken and loaded with melty cheese! BBQ chicken pizza lovers will go wild for this simple and delicious 45-minute meal!
CHEESY, BAKED, AND DELICIOUS!
A mix between a stromboli and a chicken bake, this BBQ Chicken Stuffed Bread is the perfect meal for anyone who loves BBQ Chicken Pizza! You can eat it on its own, slice it up as a game-day snack or make it a meal with the perfect side salad!
OTHER RECIPES TO SERVE WITH BBQ CHICKEN STUFFED BREAD
- Honey Barbecue Sauce – This sweet honey BBQ sauce is perfect to use in this recipe- and to dip it in too!
- Homemade Ranch Dressing – You will want to keep this recipe to use on everything.
- 7 Layer Salad – Crisp, cool and crunchy 7 Layer Salad is the perfect side for this hearty chicken stuffed bread.
Dough: I use a roll of Pillsbury Pizza Crust for this recipe. This dough comes ready in a perfectly portioned, pre-rolled rectangle. Be sure to get the original without a thin-crust variety for the best results.
Chicken: The easiest thing to do is buy a pre-cooked rotisserie chicken and shred 2 cups of chicken off of it. Mix the chicken with your favorite BBQ Sauce and melted butter from there.
Cheese: The key to this stuffed bread is lots of shredded cheese! I use mild cheddar, mozzarella, and pepper jack inside to give it a medley of flavor. I also top the dough with freshly shredded parmesan seasoned with Italian herbs.
HOW TO MAKE BBQ CHICKEN STUFFED BREAD
STEP ONE: Begin by preheating the oven to 375 degrees F. Next, line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and spray it with non-stick spray or sprinkle a thin layer of cornmeal. Continue unrolling one package of refrigerated Pillsbury Pizza Dough onto a flat, clean surface. Combine the shredded rotisserie chicken, BBQ sauce, and melted butter in a medium bowl.
STEP TWO: Evenly spread the chicken mixture over the center of the pizza dough, leaving a 1-inch perimeter at one of the short ends. Sprinkle the cheddar, mozzarella, and pepper jack cheese over the chicken.
STEP THREE: To roll the dough, fold one end of the dough over about 2 inches, then fold the sides in and pinch the dough to keep it closed. Roll the chicken stuffed bread up and pinch the ends of the dough together. Place the rolled bread on the baking sheet, seam side down.
STEP FOUR: Mix 1/2 cup of freshly grated parmesan and two tablespoons of Italian seasoning together. Brush the outside of the rolled dough with the beaten egg and sprinkle the seasoned parmesan over the top.
(I made two bread loaves for our dinner – as pictured above and below. This recipe makes one loaf.)
STEP FIVE: Cover the BBQ Chicken Stuffed Bread with tin foil and place it in the oven for 20 minutes. Remove the foil and bake it for an additional 15 minutes. Slice and serve this delicious stuffed bread with BBQ sauce or ranch for dipping!
TIPS FOR SUCCESS
- Removing the foil for the remaining baking time allows the stuffed bread to get that golden brown bake.
- You can slice BBQ Chicken Stuffed Bread and serve it alongside BBQ or Ranch dipping sauces. Stuffed bread is a perfect, hearty snack for entertaining guests.
- What to mix things up? Use buffalo sauce instead of BBQ. Then swap out the pepper jack for blue cheese crumbles and the cheddar for Monterey Jack, and you’ve got yourself buffalo chicken stuffed bread.
HOW TO STORE AND REHEAT BBQ CHICKEN STUFFED BREAD
You can keep BBQ Chicken Stuffed Bread in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. To reheat, I recommend placing the leftovers back in the oven and warming them through again. You can also use the microwave, but the baked dough will lose most of its crunchiness. The good news is that however you reheat it, the bold BBQ flavor and melty cheese still make this a delicious bite!
CHICKEN STUFFED BREAD VARIATIONS
This recipe is remarkable because of how simple it is, which also makes it super easy to change or modify. First, you can always add ingredients to the existing recipe. I sometimes add red onion and cilantro to my BBQ chicken to recreate my favorite BBQ Chicken Pizza toppings. You can also change out the sauce and cheese combinations. Think Buffalo chicken and bleu cheese or Hawaiian chicken and crushed pineapple! You also can’t go wrong with chicken, bacon, and ranch!
OTHER SHAREABLE EATS
- Crock Pot Meatball Sandwiches
- BBQ Chicken Potato Skins
- Grilled BBQ Chicken Legs
- Pepperoni Pizza Puffs
- Pizza Grilled Cheese
- Jalapeno Crab Dip
- 13.8 ounces Pillsbury Classic Pizza Crust (1 can – see note)
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- ¾ cup barbecue sauce plus more for serving
- 1 tablespoon butter melted
- 1 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese shredded
- 1 cup pepper jack cheese shredded
- 1 large egg beaten
- ½ cup parmesan cheese shredded
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- Ranch dressing for serving
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spritz with non-stick cooking spray.
- Unroll the pizza dough on a large board. Press it out into a 10-inch x 15-inch rectangle using your hands.
- Combine the chicken, BBQ sauce, and butter in a medium mixing bowl. Then spread the mixture over the pizza dough, leaving a 1-inch border at one of the short ends. Sprinkle the cheddar, mozzarella, and pepper jack cheese over the chicken filling.
- Fold the short end with filling over about 2 inches, then fold in the sides and pinch the ends to keep the filling closed inside. Then roll up the dough and pinch the seam to the dough to seal it. Place on the prepared baking sheet, seam side down.
- Mix the parmesan cheese and Italian seasoning together in a small bowl. Brush the top of the bread with the beaten egg and sprinkle with the Parmesan mixture. Cover loosely with foil.
- Bake for 20 minutes, and then remove the foil and bake for another 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and transfer the bread to a cutting board. Use a serrated knife to slice into 8 pieces. Serve warm with BBQ sauce or ranch dressing for dipping if desired.