1 Minute French Onion Dip is the must-have star of every party! Using only three ingredients, this dip is quick to make and a crowd-pleaser!
Whether a low-key game night with the family or a big gathering, no party is complete without a savory 1-minute French Onion Dip! This French Onion dip whips up in a minute, using sour cream, mayonnaise, and French Onion soup mix, and is the perfect creamy consistency to load every chip and keep everyone happy until the bowl is scraped clean!
Every party must have French Onion dip. I don’t make the rules, but this is just the way things are, and 1-minute French Onion Dip not only makes this tasty request easy but also quick to comply with! I love keeping a few packets of French onion soup mix in the pantry to mix it up with sour cream and tangy mayo for a dip that has amazing flavor and takes only a minute to prepare. I can tell my friends and family really love this dip just as much because it’s always gone in a minute, too!
Make up amazing French onion Roast Beef Sliders in time for the big game and a Crispy Air Fryer Blooming Onion for everyone to share!
Other Recipes to Serve with 1 Minute French Onion Dip
- For other celebratory get-togethers, set out a tray of beautiful Apricot, Goat Cheese, and Caramelized Onion Crostini, full of delicious flavors to wow the crowd!
- Do you know what is perfect for every party, any time of the year? Pineapple Rum Punch! This fruity drink is fun to make and goes down a little too easy, so it’s got to be a party must-have!
French Onion Soup Mix: This mix is the star of the dip, and since you know this dip will go fast, don’t be shy about scooping up a few boxes if you want to be prepared!
Mayonnaise: For this dip, full-fat mayo works the best. If you prefer to use a light, low-fat, or nonfat option, you know that it will change the flavor of the dip.
Sour Cream: Again, a full-fat option works best for this dip, but you can use light sour cream options instead.
Chips: Don’t forget all the delicious things to dip into this dip, like wavy potato chips, tortilla chips, veggies, and toasted bread!
How to Make French Onion Soup Mix Dip
STEP ONE: Mix the onion soup, sour cream, and mayo in a bowl.
STEP TWO: You can serve the dip immediately or allow the dip to rest for five minutes while the onion bits in the soup mix soften and the flavors meld together.
STEP THREE: Top with chives and serve this crazy good dip with your favorite chips and other tasty scoops!
Tips for Success
- French onion dip and chips can be quite the salty combination! You can pick up a reduced sodium French onion soup mix for a less salty dip that will complement all those deliciously salty chips! If you can’t find reduced sodium French onion soup, add more sour cream to the dip to mellow the saltiness.
- Light, low-fat, or nonfat options of sour cream and mayo can be used, but the flavor of the French onion dip will change.
- Store the dip in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week.
What is French onion dip made of?
French onion dip is typically made with French Onion soup packets or caramelized onions as the base. The onions, either dried or freshly caramelized, are mixed with spices such as garlic powder, more onion powder, parsley, salt, and, depending on the brand, beef bullion/stock. Onions and spices aren’t the end, though, because you can’t have a creamy dip without the cream! Many dips contain sour cream, mayo, and cream cheese, all of which combine the onions and spices to make an insanely delicious dip!
What’s the difference between French onion dip and onion dip?
French onion dip and onion dip can be made with dried onions and other similar ingredients. Still, one difference completely changes the flavor of French onion dip. Adding beef bullion, beef stock, or Worcestershire sauce sets French onion dip apart from onion dip. This slight difference brings a ton of flavor, so it’s easy to tell the two dips apart!
Try Out More Amazing Onion Dips!
- Salsa Onion Dip
- Caramelized Onion Dip
- Chipped Beef and Onion Dip
- Hot Onion and Cheese Dip
- Caramelized Onion and Bacon Skillet Dip
*This post was originally posted on 12/28/2016.
- Mix sour cream, mayo, and soup mix together in a bowl until evenly combined.
- Serve as is, or let rest for 5 minutes until the onion bits in the soup mix become softened.
- Sprinkle some chives on top and serve with your favorite chips for dipping!