Four ingredients and quick to make, Hot Onion & Cheese Dip is full of cheesy, oniony flavors that, once you start, you can’t stop eating!
Hot Onion & Cheese Dip might look like a lot of other dips, but as soon as you take a bite, you won’t be able to stop until the bowl is licked clean! This unbelievably delicious dip is made with only four ingredients: mayo, onion, Swiss cheese, and garlic salt, so it’s fast to make when everyone has cleared out the first bowl of dip!
What is it about the combination of cheese and onions that turns people into ravenous creatures at the snack table? Myself included, obviously. I throw together Hot Onion & Cheese Dip for most of our game day parties, both because it’s so easy and because I would get a lot of angry looks if I didn’t! The combination of sweet onions and rich Swiss cheese mellowed out with creamy mayo, makes a dip that is too good on chips, bread, and crispy veggies.
Onions are the secret ingredient to making dips incredible, so try out 1 Minutes French Onion Dip and Salsa Onion Dip at your next get-together, and don’t be surprised when they’re gone in under a minute!
Other Recipes to Serve with Hot Onion & Cheese Dip
- Great game day food has to include mouthwatering Crack Chicken Sliders and these certainly fill a crowd!
- Set out a tasty and easy-to-make Crispy Air Fryer Blooming Onion for the gang and watch it bloom disappear!
Onion: Pick up a sweet yellow onion to chop for this dip. A white onion can be used as well.
Cheese: Bring a ton of flavor to this dish using Swiss cheese! Freshly grated Swiss will melt the best, but you can use pre-shredded if needed.
Mayo: Light mayo provides an incredible creaminess to this dip, but you can also use whatever mayo you have on hand.
Seasoning: A little garlic salt is all you need to amp up this dip.
How to Make Hot Onion & Cheese Dip
STEP ONE: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and grease a 2-quart casserole or an 8-inch x 8-inch baking dish. Mix the chopped onions, shredded Swiss cheese, mayo, and garlic salt in a large bowl.
STEP TWO: Add the onion and cheese mixture to the prepared casserole dish and bake for 30-35 minutes until the top is golden brown.
STEP THREE: Remove the dip from the oven and serve immediately with chips, bread, and veggies for dipping.
Tips for Success
- A yellow sweet onion is great in this dip as the sweetness works so well with the tangy Swiss, but a white onion will be tasty, too. Chop the onion rather than slicing it for easier dipping.
- Pre-shredded cheese typically includes an ingredient to prevent the cheese from sticking together, which also doesn’t let it melt, so if you can, grate the Swiss yourself.
- Mix this dip up a day or two ahead of time and keep it covered in the fridge until you are ready to bake it. It will take a few more minutes to cook in the oven since the ingredients are cold. Store the baked dip in the fridge for up to five days.
What do I serve with Hot Onion & Cheese Dip?
There isn’t much that doesn’t go incredibly well with the cheesy, creamy, and onion flavors of this dip! Set out a variety of chips for dipping, such as Fritos scoops, tortilla chips, and wavy potato chips. Toasted baguette slices, pita bread, or toasted sourdough slices are delicious with onion dip, as are celery sticks, carrot sticks, and halved sweet peppers. This dip is so good it almost doesn’t matter what kinds of chips and bread you serve with it. Everyone will love it!
What onion is best for making dip?
The types of onions available at your local store can be varied or limited, so if you have options, here are a few suggestions. A sweet, mellow onion, such as Vidalia or shallots, can be great onions for dips or dishes where onions are the star ingredient. White or red onions also work well; instead of being sweet, they have more of a bite and a more substantial presence. When paired with another strong ingredient, like Swiss, whichever onion you use will taste amazing in this dip.
So Many More Dips to Try!
- Layered Nacho Dip
- Skinny Veggie Dip
- Pam’s Ugly Dip
- Best Buffalo Chicken Dip Recipe
- Million Dollar Dip
*This post was originally posted on 08/15/2017.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a medium mixing bowl, stir together the mayo, onion, swiss cheese, and garlic salt until evenly combined.
- Spread the dip mixture into a 2-quart casserole dish or 8-inch x 8-inch baking dish. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and let sit for 5-10 minutes before serving with baguette slices or chips for dipping.