We love to grill chicken in my family. TEQUILA LIME GRILLED CHICKEN has been a favorite for years. It’s great on its own or sliced and served as tacos or fajitas!
Years ago I found a tequila lime marinade and was hooked. I really loved it on our grilled chicken and then we’d slice it to make fajitas. Then, one day I couldn’t find the marinade so I decided to make it on my own. It’s really not hard to make up a marinade and I’m pleased to say that it turned out much better. I added more tequila and fresh cilantro into the mix and we were hooked! Tequila Lime Grilled Chicken became one of our favorites!
The alcohol is cooked off so I don’t worry about feeding it to my kids. They only have a bit anyway in their tacos or fajitas. This chicken recipe is so simple but works as a quick family dinner or dinner for company. When slice the chicken after grilling and serve it as tacos or fajitas a little goes a long way. I love how simple it is too. I usually have a lot of the ingredients on hand and then I just toss them all in a big zip top bag and store in a bowl in the fridge. I used to put the bag alone in the fridge but one bad baggie and a huge mess later I learned my lesson. No one likes chicken drips in their fridge. UGH!!! If you go the fajita route think about grilling your veggies instead of cooking them on your stove. They have amazing flavor and you won’t heat up your kitchen!
- ½ cup tequila
- ½ cup olive oil
- juice of 2 limes
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 2 cloves of garlic chopped
- 2 tbsp agave nectar honey will work as a substitute
- 1 bunch of cilantro roughly chopped (can omit if you're a member of the "cilantro tastes like soap camp")
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- in a medium mixing bowl whisk together the tequila, olive oil, lime juice, salt, pepper, onion powder and agave nectar
- add in the garlic and cilantro
- pour into a gallon sized zip top baggie
- add in the chicken breast and allow to marinate for at least 1 hour
- preheat the grill to medium high heat
- place chicken on the grill and allow to cook for 5 minutes
- flip to cook the other side for another 5 to 6 minutes or until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 160 degrees F
- remove and allow to rest covered for 5 minutes