Tender, juicy, and cooked in HALF the time of regular corned bee! Instant Pot Corned Beef and Cabbage is the perfect dish to serve up this St. Patrick’s Day!
I am a sucker for a good theme dinner. On Valentine’s Day, everything (and I mean everything) was pink. For St. Patrick’s Day this year, I’m pulling out all the stops.
I’m making delicious minty green Grasshopper Drink, hiding pots of gold around the house, and cooking up a batch of this Instant Pot Corned Beef and Cabbage! This meal is so hearty and flavorful your family will be dancing an Irish jig because they love it so much!
INSTANT POT CORNED BEEF AND CABBAGE
Like this recipe? Pin it to your DINNER board!
Follow Real Housemoms on Pinterest
Say bye-bye to February and HELLLOOOOO to March! Is it just me or do these last few months of winter just drag on? Of course, we love Valentine’s Day and all the adorable pink and red treats that come along with that. But the thing that REALLY gets me through the end of winter blues is some good old St. Patrick’s Day green!
The reason I love St. Patrick’s Day so much (aside from catching leprechauns and getting their pots of gold of course…) is because the food is just SO GOOD. It’s hearty, delicious, and tastes like home. If you’re like me and love a classic Irish meal, you’re going to love this instant pot corned beef and cabbage recipe.
Now typically, a true homemade corned beef takes up to 10 days to prepare. You heard me right… 10 DAYS. Corned beef’s cut of meat is a brisket that has been cured in salt and seasonings, all that brining takes time! Most people typically go the easier route and buy an already brined corned beef brisket at the grocery store, but those still take hours and hours to cook!
Well… not anymore! In true Real Housemoms fashion, I’m here to make corned beef and cabbage instant pot style. (You all know how much I adore my instant pot recipes!)
In under 2 hours, you’ll have a tender and delicious corned beef and cabbage with ALL the fixings. No more waiting around all day for your St. Patrick’s Day meal to cook!
Ingredients for Instant Pot Corned Beef and Cabbage
Corned Beef Brisket – You can brine a brisket yourself, but that takes over a week. Let’s be honest… who has time to think that far in advance?! So instead, for this instant pot corned beef and cabbage, you’ll want one of the already brined corned beef briskets.
You can find them at your local grocery store around St. Patrick’s Day. Make sure that it’s one that does come with a spice packet though!
Guinness Stout – No St. Patrick’s Day meal is complete without some classic Irish beer. So we’re making this instant pot corned beef and cabbage with Guinness! You’ll need 1 bottle to cook with and some more bottles to drink 🙂
Veggies – I wasn’t kidding when I said this instant pot corned beef and cabbage came with all the fixings! Aside from green cabbage, you’ll want small red potatoes, an onion, and carrots. By the time you’re done cooking, you’ll have a whole feast prepared (and all in a single instant pot)!
Do you rinse corned beef before cooking?
Typically I don’t suggest rinsing meat before cooking it. However, corned beef is a whole different ballgame type of meat. Corned beef has been soaked in a salty brine for DAYS before you buy it.
So, you’ll definitely want to rinse off some of that excess salt under cool, running water for a while before cooking it up. Don’t worry about it losing flavor, that brine is soaked deep into the meat in the brining process.
How to make Corned Beef and Cabbage in an Instant Pot
After rinsing off your beef, it’s time to grab your instant pot and get cooking. Believe me when I say this instant pot corned beef and cabbage recipe is by far the easiest AND tastiest corned beef recipe I’ve ever made!
- Start by combining the bottle of Guinness (go ahead and pop a bottle for yourself while you’re at it…it’s the luck of the Irish, right?), beef broth, and chopped onion in the Instant Pot.
- Now lay your corned beef brisket on a cutting board and spread the pickling spices over the top of the brisket. Add the minced garlic to the top of the meat. No need to go crazy covering all sides of the brisket. The flavors will infuse thanks to that handy dandy instant pot!
- Next, add the seasoned meat to the instant pot. Place lid on, lock it in place, and set the vent to sealing. Turn on the manual cook setting (high pressure) for 90 minutes. Let the pot naturally release for 10 minutes before quick releasing any remaining pressure.
- Now that the meat is cooked, it’s time to cook up those vegetables! Remove the cooked corned beef from the instant pot and cover it with foil to keep warm.
- Place the potatoes into the instant pot (with all the leftover juices from the corned beef!). Seal the lid and cook on high pressure for 8 minutes. Once the cooking time is up, carefully quick release the pressure.
- Next, add the cabbage and carrots into the instant pot and use the manual cook setting set for 4 minutes. Once the cooking time is up, carefully quick release the pressure.
- Slice the meat into pieces and serve with potatoes, carrots, and cabbage. Enjoy!
What to serve with corned beef and cabbage
The best thing about this instant pot corned beef and cabbage with Guinness is that it comes with all the side dishes you could ever need With hearty potatoes, tender carrots, and flavorful cabbage, it really is an all-in-one recipe, you’re ready to go!
However, if your family is anything like my husband and kids, you’ll want some kind of bread to go with their meal (as if it wasn’t filling enough already…). To fill their carb-loving bellies, I always whip up a batch of these amazing bacon & beer bread drop biscuits.
And of course, no good holiday meal is complete without an on-theme dessert, right?! For the kids, I always make these delicious mint fudge stuffed brownies. For after the kids go to bed, I make a batch of these boozy Irish cream mousse cups for the adults! Can’t go wrong with Irish cream, right?
Need more deliciously hearty meals? Check out some of these other Real Housemoms recipes!
- Corned Beef Shepard’s Pie
- Dutch Oven Pot Roast
- Corned Beef and Cabbage Chowder
- Instant Pot Ham
- Instant Pot Pot Roast
- more DINNER recipes…
Tools used to make this Instant Pot Corned Beef and Cabbage recipe
Instant Pot: I can’t tell you enough times how much I love this instant pot. SUCH a time saver!
Serving Platter: I plate up my instant pot corned beef and cabbage as proudly as I would plate my Thanksgiving turkey. Gotta have a serving tray to match the beauty of this meal!
- 3 cups low-sodium beef broth
- 11 ounces Guinness Extra Stout
- 1 large yellow onion peeled and chopped
- 2 pounds corned beef brisket with spice pack
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound small red potatoes
- 1 cup baby carrots (or regular carrots peeled and cut into 3-inch sticks)
- 1 small green cabbage chopped
- Combine Guinness, beef broth, and onion in the Instant Pot.
- Remove corned beef from the package. Spread spices from the packet over the brisket along with the minced garlic.
- Add brisket to the Instant Pot. Place lid in place and lock. Sent vent to sealing. Turn pot to the manual setting (high pressure) for 90 minutes. Once the cooking time is up, let the pot naturally release for 10 minutes. Then quick release any remaining pressure.
- Remove brisket from Instant Pot. Use a slotted spoon to scoop out any solids and discard them. Cover brisket with foil to keep warm.
- Add potatoes to the pot. Lock the lid in place, return vent to sealing, and cook on high pressure for 8 minutes. Quick release once the cooking time is up.
- Add carrots and cabbage to the potatoes in the pot. Lock the lid in place, return vent to sealing, and cook on high pressure for 4 minutes. Quick release once the cooking time is up.
- Slice corned beef and transfer to a serving platter. Use a slotted spoon to remove veggies from the pot and arrange them around the brisket. Serve warm.