Grasshopper Pie is a classic recipe that’s making a comeback! This no-bake dessert is the perfect mint chocolate pie for St. Patrick’s Day!
One of my favorite flavor combinations is mint and chocolate. So of course, I had to make this recipe for Grasshopper Pie! The chewable version of my beloved grasshopper drink, this is the perfect slightly alcoholic green dessert for any St. Patrick’s Day spread.
Like this recipe? Pin it to your DESSERT board!
Follow Real Housemoms on Pinterest
This mint chocolate pie is filled with fluffy marshmallows, whipped cream, creme de menthe, and creme de cocoa with a crumbly Mint Creme Oreo crust. It’s so easy to make this no-bake dessert — just crush, mix, and freeze!
I’ve seen grasshopper cocktails and grasshopper pie ice cream, but I’d never had a Grasshopper Pie! It has the mint chocolate combination that I love, and it’s frozen!!! I made it the night before my dinner party and let it sit overnight because I knew we’d be opening up the freezer constantly to check if it was ready to sneak a taste.
What is Grasshopper Pie?
This creamy dessert is a vintage staple that’s making its way back to our tables. It’s so simple and delicious I can’t believe it ever left!
There are tons of variations on grasshopper pie, but most have whipped cream and marshmallow filling flavored with both creme de menthe and creme de cocoa. The unique name comes from the bright green color of the creme de menthe.
The crust is often made from chocolate cookie crumbs for a frozen mint chocolate pie that you simply slice and serve! There’s minimal heat used in this recipe — just melting marshmallows — and no baking at all.
To make a non-alcoholic version of this grasshopper pie recipe, add a little peppermint extract and water in place of the liqueurs and a drop of green food coloring to get the spectacular color.
What is Grasshopper Pie Made of?
MINT CREME OREOS: You can always use plain Oreos for this chocolate cookie crust. I like the extra minty addition these green Oreos add to the dish, so I always look for them! If you can’t find any, add a teaspoon of mint extract to the crust mixture.
MARSHMALLOWS: The ooey-gooey marshmallows folded into homemade whipped cream make for the best grasshopper pie filling. If you have a mixer, making the whipped cream is totally worth the effort!
CREME LIQUEURS: I use both Creme de Cocoa and Creme de Menthe in this grasshopper mint pie. Since the alcohol is never quite cooked, it does stay in the pie — about a half cup for the entire dessert — and is not recommended for little hands.
This is the best Grasshopper Pie recipe because you can easily make it ahead of time and freeze it for up to 3 months! Simply thaw and slice when you’re ready for a mint chocolate treat.
How to Make Grasshopper Pie
- First, pulse the Oreos in a food processor until they are small crumbs.
- Keep some crumbs set aside for garnish. Then mix the rest of the crumbs with the melted butter to make the cookie crumb crust. Press the crumb mixture into the bottom and up the sides of a pie plate.
Pro Tip: Use a spoon to get the crumbs up the sides of the pan easily!
- Then, mix the marshmallows and some heavy whipping cream in a saucepot over medium heat, stirring constantly. Don’t walk away!
- When the marshmallows are all melted, remove the saucepot from the heat.
- Then add the creme de cocoa and creme de menthe. Mix well and let the marshmallow creme mixture cool slightly.
- Now, whip the rest of the cream until you have super stiff peaks. Fold in about a third of the marshmallow mixture at a time. Repeat until it’s all mixed together gently, then add to the cookie crust.
- Garnish the easy grasshopper pie with the rest of the crushed Oreos and put it in the freezer to set. I like to drizzle each slice with chocolate syrup before serving too for an extra chocolate kick!
For the smoothest slices, leave the Grasshopper Pie in the freezer until about 10 minutes before dessert. Then take it out and set the pie on the counter. It will be set enough to hold its shape, but loose enough to cut.
Are you still struggling to cut the pie? Try running the knife under hot water before slicing! Then Wipe off any pie stuck to the knife, run under hot water, and slice again.
More Delicious Dessert Recipes
- Leprechaun Snack Mix
- Mint Fudge Stuffed Brownies
- Homemade Peanut Butter Cups
- Mint Chocolate Truffles
- Andes Mint Pie
- More DESSERT recipes…
Tools used to make this Grasshopper Pie recipe
Pie Plate: A fluted pie plate will give you the best pie crust with minimal effort. Let the pan do the work for this no-bake dessert!
Stand Mixer: For the fluffiest whipped cream, I recommend a stand mixer. If you’re looking for an arm workout while you bake, you can use a hand mixer too!
*This post originally posted on 02/19/2016.
- 15.25 oz. package Mint Creme Oreos
- 6 tbsp butter melted
- 40 large marshmallows
- 2 1/3 cups heavy whipping cream divided
- 1/4 cup Creme de Cocoa clear
- 1/4 cup Creme de Menthe green
- chocolate syrup optional
- place the Oreos in a food processor and pulse until they are fine crumbs
- remove 1/4 cup and set aside
- add the remaining crumbs into a medium mixing bowl and combine with the melted butter
- pour crumb mixture into a deep dish 9 inch pie plate, spread them out into an even layer on the bottom
- using a large spoon or measuring cup work the crumbs up the sides of the pie plate creating the crust
- set aside
- combine the marshmallows and 1 cup of the heavy whipping cream in a large pot over medium heat, stirring constantly
- once marshmallows are melted completely remove from heat and pour in the creme de cocoa and creme de menthe. Make sure that the creme de menthe is fully mixed in
- set marshmallow mixture aside to cool for 10 minutes
- while that cools beat the remaining heavy whipping cream until stiff peaks form
- pour a third of the marshmallow mixture onto the whipped cream and fold in
- repeat two more times until all is incorporated
- pour into the pie crust shell
- top with remaining Oreo crumbs and then place in the freeze uncovered
- after an hour cover the pie and allow to continue to freeze until solid
- pull out pie 10 minutes before serving
- drizzle each slice with chocolate syrup is using