Almost as good as finding a real pot ‘o gold, Leprechaun Snack Mix is a fun, colorful treat that kids, adults, and leprechauns LOVE!
It’s officially March, which means it’s officially time to start turning all our foods green for St. Patrick’s Day! Whether I’m making a delicious grasshopper pie or some yummy Leprechaun Snack Mix with the kids, I always find that adding some green to a recipe makes it feel LUCKY! I love snack mix recipes and this fun St. Patrick’s Day snack mix is hard to resist! Filled with delicious marshmallows and gooey chocolate, you’re practically guaranteed to catch a leprechaun (or at least catch a new favorite recipe).
LEPRECHAUN SNACK MIX
Like this recipe? Pin it to your DESSERT board!
Follow Real Housemoms on Pinterest
Do you remember back in elementary school when you’d spend hours making elaborate little traps to catch a leprechaun on St. Patrick’s Day? All you wanted was a peek at that little guy’s pot of gold (if you were lucky enough of course)!
Well if my memory serves me correctly, I never actually caught a leprechaun. Those little tricksters always just left a mess and their little footprints all over my house instead. Guess my trap-making skills weren’t that great… must’ve been because I didn’t have any leprechaun bait!
What is leprechaun bait, you ask? Well let me tell you, it’s a delicious treat for humans and leprechauns alike! Leprechaun bait is simply a Chex mix snack mix that is the perfect recipe to put together with kids. It’s fun to make, tasty for kids and adults, and can be used as a super-secret treat to lure those pesky little leprechauns into your kids’ extravagant leprechaun traps!
I highly suggest whipping up a batch of this leprechaun party mix for St. Patrick’s Day this year!
Leprechaun Snack Mix Ingredients
Cereal – as with any good Chex mix snack mix, you’ll be starting with a cereal base. I love using rice Chex because they’re light and not super sweet. Of course, this is a St. Patrick’s Day snack mix, so you’ll need some Lucky Charms too! Gotta have those tasty little marshmallows to attract the sneaky leprechauns 🙂
Chocolate – we all know I’m obsessed with all things chocolate. So of course, this snack mix recipe is going to be chocked full of chocolate! You’ll need a combination of white chocolate chips, Andes baking chips, and green M&Ms.
How to Make Leprechaun Snack Mix
So, your kids have their leprechaun traps constructed, now it’s time to get working on the leprechaun bait to ensure they catch one! Get the whole family together because this is a fun recipe to make altogether.
- The first step is for the kids (a very important step, but also one to keep them busy while you melt the chocolate). Grab your Lucky Charms cereal and give the kids two bowls to separate it into – the marshmallows and the cereal bits. If it’s not separated ahead of time, the chocolate can melt the marshmallows into a gooey mess.
- While the kids are busy sorting, you’ll get to work on getting the chocolate ready. Melt together the white chocolate chips (or vanilla candy melts) and Andes baking chips in the microwave or in a double boiler.
Pro Tip: I recommend heating for 1 minute and giving the chocolate a stir. Then heat again for 30 seconds and stir. Repeat as needed until the chocolate is completely melted and smooth.
- Then, in a large bowl combine the Rice Chex cereal and Lucky Charms cereal (just the cereal bits, not the marshmallows!). Pour the melted chocolate over the cereal and stir everything together – make sure everything gets a good coating of chocolate!
- Place the chocolate-coated cereal in a gallon-sized food storage bag and shake with 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar. You want the cereal to be completely coated in sugar. Then pour the cereal into a serving bowl.
- After that, all you need to do is add in the green M&M’s and Lucky Charms marshmallows and stir them into the cereal. You can serve your snack mix immediately or place it in an air-tight container for later. (I usually pop some Press ‘n Seal over the serving bowl to save on dishes.)
- For the humans – serve in your favorite bowl. For the leprechauns – leave some bait in your leprechaun trap and wait for the magic to happen!
Looking for more lucky treats for St. Patrick’s Day? Try out these other Real Housemoms favorites!
- Shamrock Shake
- Irish Cream Mousse Cups
- Pistachio Cheesecake Dip
- Mint Fudge Stuffed Brownies
- Irish Cream Brownie Parfait
- more DESSERT recipes…
Tools used to make this Leprechaun Snack Mix recipe
Mixing Bowl: this set of nesting mixing bowls is perfect for snack mix because you can use one bowl for mixing and the other two for separating the lucky charms marshmallows!
Microwave-Safe Bowl: this glass bowl is perfect for melting chocolate in the microwave.
- Place white chocolate and Andes baking chips into a microwave-safe bowl. Heat for 1 minute and then stir. Heat again for 30 seconds and then stir. Repeat until chocolate is melted and smooth.
- Place Rice Chex and Lucky Charms cereal into a mixing bowl. Pour melted chocolate over cereal and mix until cereal is completely coated.
- Transfer coated cereal into a gallon-sized food storage bag. Pour powdered sugar into the bag and seal the top. Shake until the cereal is well coated in powdered sugar.
- Transfer the cereal to a serving bowl. Add the Lucky Charms marshmallows and green M&Ms to the cereal and stir to combine.
- Serve immediately or store in an air-tight container for later.