Try this sweet and creamy Grasshopper for St Patrick’s Day! A mint-chocolate flavored cocktail made with only three ingredients!
If you’re looking to drink your dessert, this Grasshopper cocktail is for you! It’s sweet and creamy and tastes like a grown-up version of a mint-chocolate chip milkshake. This 3-ingredient version of the grasshopper is a fancy cocktail lovers dream. It’s a simple drink, just like my favorite amaretto sour, but with a beautiful pale green color, this Grasshopper is perfect for St. Patrick’s Day. And don’t forget the garnish! You’ll get all kinds of presentation points.
Like this recipe? Pin it to your DRINK pinboard!
Follow Real Housemoms on Pinterest
Real Housemoms TV
I might be on a never-ending quest to turn cocktails into dessert. Because, once you drop a scoop of ice cream into your White Russian or dollop Homemade Whipped Cream onto your Grasshopper, there is no turning back. Boozy dessert-like cocktails are right up my alley. I even add a secret ingredient to my Aperol Spritz to make it extra smooth and sweet.
What’s in a grasshopper?
This cocktail is made with only three ingredients. I’ll give you the classic recipe, but I highly recommend tasting as you go and adjusting to suit your taste. Here’s what you will need to make a Grasshopper Cocktail:
- Crème de menthe: A sweet mint-flavored liqueur. Available in both white or green, you definitely want to go with with the vibrant green version to give your Grasshopper the classic vibrant color.
- Crème de cacao: A sweet chocolate-flavored liqueur. Available in both dark or white (clear). You’ll want to choose the clear version for this recipe so that the green color from the crème de menthe will show up.
- Half and half or cream: The two liqueurs get cut with half and half or cream. I prefer half and half since it’s slightly less thick and rich, but choose whichever you’d like.
How to make a grasshopper cocktail
A traditional Grasshopper recipe uses equal parts crème de menthe, crème de cacao, and cream. Pour them into an ice-filled cocktail shaker, give it a few shakes and strain it into a glass. Feel free to adjust the proportions to suit your taste. For example, I prefer 2 parts half and half, 1 part crème de menthe and 1 part crème de cacao. Once you have the ingredients you can play around them until you get your perfect cocktail.
Make your Grasshopper extra pretty by adding some of the following garnishes: swirl chocolate sauce into the inside of your glass, top the Grasshopper with whipped cream, chopped Andes candies, chocolate sprinkles, chocolate shavings, or a sprig of fresh mint.
Grasshopper Milkshake: Turn this cocktail into a milkshake! Add the crème de menthe, crème de cacao, milk, and a few scoops of mint-chip or vanilla ice cream into a blender. Give it a whirl and you’ll have a creamy, boozy and incredibly delicious dessert. It goes down very, very smooth (don’t say I didn’t warn ya).
Want to make your cocktail even stronger? Turn it into a Flying Grasshopper by adding 1 part vodka. Plain vodka or vanilla vodka would both work with the chocolate and mint flavors. I’ve also seen mention of adding Kahlua to a Grasshopper, which would impart a subtle vanilla-coffee flavor. I haven’t that tried yet, but as I am typing this I realize that I have everything I need to try it. Gah! I’m off to go experiment. Wish me luck!
Have the best St. Patrick’s Day party around with these other fun drinks!
Tools used to make this Grasshopper Cocktail recipe
Cocktail Shaker: This shaker is a bartender’s best friend! Easy to use and the best way to mix up your favorite cocktails!
Jigger: Every home bartender should have a jigger for measuring their cocktail ingredients. This one has a no-slip grip and is marked with increment measuring lines so you can make the perfect cocktail every time.
- 1 ounce crème de menthe
- 1 ounce crème de cacao white/clear
- 2 ounces half and half (or heavy cream)
- Chocolate Sauce
- Whipped Cream
- Chocolate Sprinkles
- Andes Mint Chocolate Candy chopped
- Combine all ingredients in an ice-filled cocktail shaker, and give it a few shakes.
- Drizzle chocolate sauce around the inside of a coupe glass (or other stemmed cocktail glass). Pour in grasshopper. Top with whipped cream sprinkles and candy, if desired.
Download Your Free Copy!
Download your FREE copy of Dinner Made Easy!
Sign up to receive our newsletter and download your copy of Dinner Made Easy FREE! You'll get one email a week with our favorite recipes and tools to make life easy!