These Chai Frosted Brownies are like a frothy chai latte in the form of a brownie frosted with chocolate and a rum vanilla creme.
Hey Real Housemoms readers! I’m happy to be back (did you check out my last carb-o-rific recipe??) with a new recipe for you, and this time, I came with suuuugar! These brownies are an adaption of a recipe that my mom passed down to me for Mint Chocolate Brownies. Those are a crowd pleasing favorite, and pretty hard to go wrong with, since they start with a box mix as the base.
I looooove switching up favorite recipes, because you can get a whole new flavor, a whole new recipe, but you know that it’s going to be a winner, because it’s mommy recipe was. Too much? Too weird? You get what I mean, right?
For these, I wanted to embrace some warm winter flavors, so I started the brownie layer off with some amazing chai flavors like cinnamon and nutmeg. If you want to take a box mix up a notch, just add some extra flavor, like spices and vanilla extract. It’s a quick way to make something gourmet out of box mix.
What really makes these brownies amazing? You see that creme layer in there? It’s got vanilla and rum extract in it! I know, right? It’s ridiculous. It’s based on this phenomenal rum that I tried recently, chai vanilla rum. It’s the stuff of dreams. These brownies are absolutely perfect for the holiday season, and the type of dessert that you keep taking one little slice of . . . until magically the whole pan is gone.
- 1 1/2 tsp rum extract
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 TBPs milk
- 1/2 cup butter not completely melted, but very soft
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 6 oz semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup butter
- Mix the cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and cardamom into the brownie mix. Then mix in the other wet ingredients called for in the mix you are using (i.e. the eggs, oil, and or water) and the vanilla. Bake according to the box directions. When the brownies have finished cooking, let cool on the counter for a few minutes and then refrigerate for a half hour.
- Combine the rum extract, vanilla extract, milk, butter, and powdered sugar. Pour it over the cooled brownies. Refrigerate for another half hour.
- In a large bowl combine the butter and the chocolate chips. Microwave for 1 minute on half power, stir, then microwave again at 30 second intervals stirring in between until fully melted. Pour over creme layer. Refrigerate until set, at least a half hour.
- For best results store covered in the refrigerator.
You might also like
Download Your Free Copy!
Download your FREE copy of Dinner Made Easy!
Sign up to receive our newsletter and download your copy of Dinner Made Easy FREE! You'll get one email a week with our favorite recipes and tools to make life easy!