Rich and flavorful Creamy Chipotle Chicken is a simple yet delicious weeknight dinner recipe that can be ready to serve in just 30 minutes!
Subtly smoky and packed with the perfect punch, this Creamy Chipotle Chicken is destined to be a family favorite. This simple dinner comes together in just 30 minutes and can be served over rice, making it the perfect recipe when you’re running low on time and energy!
FULL OF FLAVOR, NOT CALORIES
Fun fact- There’s no cream in this Creamy Chipotle Chicken! This super flavorful and robust sauce gets its creamy texture from 1/3 fat cream cheese and a little non-fat Greek yogurt. These alternatives cleverly deliver the creamy sauce you crave without the guilt!
OTHER RECIPES TO SERVE WITH CREAMY CHIPOTLE CHICKEN
- Baked Brown Rice – Serve this chicken over a scoop of simple and delicious baked brown rice.
- Roasted Asparagus – This simple roasted asparagus pairs perfectly with this Creamy Chipotle Chicken.
Chicken: This recipe calls for 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts seared in extra-virgin olive oil.
Sauce Base: Creamy chipotle sauce starts with low-sodium chicken broth, adobo sauce, and cream cheese. You’ll also add plain, non-fat Greek Yogurt at the end to add even more creaminess.
Veggies: This sauce is enhanced with onion, garlic cloves, and of course, chipotle peppers.
Seasoning: Keep it simple with some kosher salt and black pepper.
HOW TO MAKE CREAMY CHIPOTLE CHICKEN
STEP ONE: Start by heating some extra-virgin olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. While the oil heats, season the chicken breasts with salt and pepper and add them to the skillet. Sear the chicken for 4 minutes on each side until they are golden brown. Next, remove the chicken breasts from the skillet to a plate and cover them with foil to keep them warm.
STEP TWO: Once the chicken is removed, reduce the skillet heat to medium and add some more olive oil to the pan. Add the diced onion and cook it for 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Once the onions are softened, add the minced garlic and chipotle peppers and sauté them for 30 seconds. Now add the adobo sauce, chicken broth, and cream cheese. Stir the sauce together until it is melted.
STEP THREE: Next, return the seared chicken breasts to the skillet along with any juices that may have accumulated. Turn the chicken in the sauce to coat it and cover the skillet. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook the chicken for 7-9 minutes or until the breasts are fully cooked through.
STEP FOUR: Once the chicken is cooked, stir in 2-3 tablespoons of plain Greek yogurt. Season Creamy Chipotle Chicken with salt and pepper to taste. Serve with extra sauce spooned over the top and enjoy!
TIPS FOR SUCCESS
- To save time, chop your veggies while the chicken breasts are searing.
- Once seared, remove the chicken breasts to a plate and cover them with foil. You will finish cooking the chicken in a later step so don’t worry if it’s not completely cooked through yet.
- Cook time on the chicken breasts will depend on their thickness. Chicken should always reach an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
HOW SPICY IS CREAMY CHIPOTLE CHICKEN?
Chipotle peppers average somewhere around medium on the mild to hot scale. They pack about the same amount of heat as jalapenos. If you’re worried about the spice level of this recipe, start with 1 or 2 peppers and add more if desired. You can typically find chipotle peppers in the Latin food aisle of your grocery store. They also come canned, often in an adobo sauce which is super convenient for this Creamy Chipotle Chicken recipe.
HOW LONG DO CHICKEN LEFTOVERS LAST IN THE FRIDGE?
As a general rule, chicken leftovers stored properly in the fridge will last for 3-4 days. You can also freeze cooked chipotle chicken in an airtight, freezer-safe container. When you’re ready to defrost it, let it thaw in the fridge overnight prior to reheating.
OTHER CHIPOTLE FLAVORS
- Chipotle Tomato Wedge Salad Recipe
- Slow Cooker Chipotle Ranch Chicken
- Cheesy Bacon Chipotle Ranch Dip
- Easy Chipotle Chicken Nachos
- Smokey Chipotle Corn Dip
- Cheesy Chipotle Fries
*This post was originally posted on 05/18/2017.
- 4 teaspoons olive oil divided
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ cup yellow onion peeled and diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 3 chipotle peppers minced
- 1 tablespoon adobo sauce
- ½ cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 3 tablespoons plain Greek yogurt
- Fresh parsley or cilantro chopped, for garnish (optional)
- Heat 2 teaspoons of the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Season chicken breasts on both sides with salt and pepper.
- Add the chicken to the hot pan and sear for 4 minutes on each side, until golden brown. Transfer the chicken to a plate and cover with aluminum foil to keep warm. (They will finish cooking later.)
- Reduce the heat of the skillet to medium and pour the remaining olive oil into the pan. Add the diced onion and cook, stirring occasionally, for 4-5 minutes until softened. Add garlic and chipotle peppers and saute for another 30 seconds.
- Add adobo sauce, chicken broth, and cream cheese to the skillet and stir until the cheese has melted into the sauce. Return the chicken breasts to the skillet, along with any accumulated juices on the plate. Turn the chicken to coat in the sauce.
- Cover the skillet, reduce the heat to medium-low, and cook for 7-9 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through. (Cooking time will depend on how thick the chicken breasts are.) I like to spoon some of the sauce over the chicken breasts halfway through the cooking time.
- Once the chicken is cooked (165 degrees F internal temp), turn off the heat and stir in the Greek yogurt. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve warm with extra sauce spooned over the chicken and some parsley or cilantro for garnish.