If you long for a taste of the outback, then you have got to try this Copycat Alice Springs Chicken loaded with bacon, mushrooms and cheese!
The secret to Copycat Alice Springs Chicken is the amazing honey mustard marinade, but the bacon, mushrooms and cheese make it taste truly unbelievable. This famous chicken starts on the stovetop but finishes in the oven to keep it super moist and tender!
YOUR FAVORITE MEALS AT HOME
Don’t get me wrong, I love to go out to dinner with my family, but why pay restaurant prices for a meal that I can make at home? Alice Springs Chicken has been my go-to order at Outback Steakhouse for years, but now I can bring the outback home to my family.
I’m a sucker for a great copycat recipe so I love these Copycat Carrabbas Cavatappi Amatriciana and Slow Cooker Copycat Wendy’s Chili recipes.
OTHER RECIPES TO SERVE WITH ALICE SPRINGS CHICKEN
- Crispy Air Fryer Blooming Onion – Complete your outback experience with this bloomin’ onion recipe.
- Lemon Butter Broccolini – This fresh and citrusy broccolini brings a perfect balance to Alice Springs Chicken.
- Mini Twice Baked Potato Casserole – These twice baked potato casseroles are so yummy I could eat them all by themselves.
Marinade: Combine 1/2 cup of honey with 1/3 cup of Dijon mustard, 4 tablespoons of mayo and 2 teaspoons of lemon juice to make this copycat marinade.
Chicken: This recipe calls for 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts sizzled in butter.
Toppings: You’ll need 3 cups of sliced button mushrooms, 8 slices of cooked crispy bacon and 1 1/2 cups of freshly shredded Monterey Jack cheese.
Garnish: Garnish with fresh chopped parsley for that restaurant quality finishing touch.
HOW TO MAKE COPYCAT ALICE SPRINGS CHICKEN
STEP ONE: Start by mixing the marinade. Whisk together the honey, Dijon mustard, mayo, and lemon juice. Reserve a 1/3 cup of this marinade as a dip for the finished product. Place the remaining marinade into a large resealable bag with the chicken breasts. Marinate the chicken for at least 3 hours or overnight in the fridge.
STEP TWO: Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Grease a 9×13 casserole dish and set it aside. Grab a large skillet and heat 2 tablespoons of butter over medium heat. Once the butter sizzles, pour the marinated chicken and extra marinade from the bag into the skillet. Sear each side of the chicken for about 4 minutes. Make sure not to burn the chicken and don’t cook it all the way through.
STEP THREE: Transfer the chicken to the prepped casserole dish and give the skillet a quick wipe down. Return the skillet to the stovetop, add 1 tablespoon of butter, and cook the sliced mushrooms for about 6 minutes until they turn tender and brown.
STEP FOUR: Evenly distribute the mushrooms over the 4 chicken breasts and place 2 slices of cooked bacon on each piece. Lastly, divide the shredded cheese evenly over each chicken breast.
STEP FIVE: Place the dish in the oven for 10-15 minutes. Once the chicken is cooked all the way through removing from the oven and plate it. Use the extra marinade as a dip or drizzle it over the finished chicken and garnish it with parsley if desired.
TIPS FOR SUCCESS
- Store the extra marinade in the fridge so it doesn’t spoil while the chicken marinates.
- If you have a cast iron skillet handy you can easily make this into a one-pot chicken dish.
- If you don’t want leftovers you can divide this recipe in half and make 2 chicken breasts instead of 4.
WHAT IS ALICE SPRINGS CHICKEN?
This crazy delicious recipe is inspired by the famous Alice Springs Chicken dish from Outback Steakhouse. Named after Alice Springs, Australia this chicken dish is marinated in honey mustard and topped with crispy bacon, buttery mushrooms, and gobs of melty Monterey Jack cheese! Alice Springs Chicken is the absolute best that the outback has to offer!
HOW TO STORE LEFTOVER COPYCAT ALICE SPRINGS CHICKEN
You can store any leftover chicken in an airtight container in the fridge. Leftovers will last for 3-4 days, but I prefer to eat mine the next day so the bacon doesn’t get soggy. You can also freeze this Alice Springs Chicken in an airtight container and keep it for up to a month.
OTHER AMAZING COPYCAT RECIPES
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups
- Chick-Fil-A Chicken Nuggets
- Baked Bang Bang Shrimp
- Starbucks Pink Drink
- Shamrock Shake
- Orange Chicken
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/3 cup Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 3 tablespoons salted butter divded
- 10 ounces button mushrooms sliced (about 3 cups)
- 8 slices bacon cooked
- 1 1/2 cups Monterey Jack cheese shredded
- Fresh parsley chopped, for garnish
- Make the marinade in a small bowl by whisking together the honey, Dijon mustard, mayonnaise, and lemon juice. Reserve 1/3 cup for dipping and place the rest of the marinade into a large resealable bag with the chicken breasts. Marinate the chicken for 3 hours or overnight.
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F and grease a casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Add 2 tablespoons of butter to a large skillet over medium heat. Once the butter is sizzling, pour in the chicken and marinade from the bag. Cook for about 4 minutes per side or until the chicken has a nice sear. (Do not cook the chicken all the way through, it will finish cooking in the oven.) Transfer the chicken to the prepared casserole dish.
- Wipe out the skillet and return it to the stove. Add 1 tablespoon of butter to the skillet and cook the mushrooms for about 6 minutes. They should still be stiff but starting to become tender and brown.
- Evenly divide the mushrooms over the chicken. Top each chicken breast with 2 slices of cooked bacon and 1/4 of the shredded cheese.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes until the chicken reaches 165 degrees F internal temperature and the cheese is melted.
- Use the remaining marinade as a dip or it drizzle over the chicken. Garnish with freshly chopped parsley before serving warm.
Leave a Reply