Chili con Carne is a hearty meal ready to warm you up on a cold day! I love serving this chili for game day or at dinnertime with cornbread!
This post is sponsored by Mirum. All opinions and text are 100% my own.
This time of year I gravitate towards comfort food and dinners that need some time to cook. I have an arsenal of crock pot recipes to help make things extra easy, but some days I love being in the kitchen pouring love into our meal. Chili con Carne is all about the love. This easy to prepare chili recipe simmers on the stove for a little over an hour, and oh my goodness will it make your house smell amazing!
CHILI CON CARNE
Like this recipe? Pin it to your DINNER pinboard!
Follow Real Housemoms on Pinterest
What is Chili con Carne?
- Chili con carne translates to chili with meat. This is the common chili preparation in most parts of America. It’s a spicy stew that’s a combination of chili peppers, meat, tomatoes, and beans in addition to other seasonings and spices
Now, chili con carne with beans is a topic of debate. While Texas is an all meat and no beans state, many areas around the country prefer meat AND beans in their chili. I like it both ways. I mean, what’s not to love about a big pot of chili?
Heartburn. That’s what.
Yep. I get heartburn pretty regularly, at least a couple days a week, but spicy foods loaded with tomatoes like this chili con carne recipe do me in big time. Every time I dive into a bowl of chili or a spicy dip I’m looking for relief. But this Fall I’ve decided to do something about it! I started taking Equate Omeprazole Orally Disintegrating Tablets (also known as Omeprazole ODT) to alleviate and combat my heartburn symptoms before they start to happen.
Equate Omeprazole ODT is an orally dissolving tablet that treats the symptoms of frequent heartburn (heartburn that occurs 2 or more days per week). Here are some things you need to know about Equate Omeprazole ODT:
- Actual size of the tablet on the front of the box
- Dosage: 1 Dose taken every 24 hours for 14 days
- The box includes three 14-day courses of treatment *NOTE* Unless directed by a doctor, you shouldn’t take Equate Omeprazole Orally Disintegrating Tablets for more than 14 days or more frequently than every four months.
- Taken orally and melts in your mouth
- The tablets are strawberry-flavored
- This tablet is easy for taking on the go, as there is no glass of water needed
- For best consumption experience, allow the tablet to dissolve on your tongue. Do not chew Omeprazole ODT tablets or dissolve in liquid
Equate Omeprazole ODT is not intended for immediate relief and although some experience an improvement in their symptoms after 24 hours, it may take 1-4 days to feel the full effect. I really love that the Equate Omeprazole ODT pills disintegrate on my tongue quickly. I’m not left with a chalky taste in my mouth as I would be with other heartburn relief aids.
Now that I’m managing my heartburn, I can enjoy all my favorite Mexican foods, game day bites, and this chili recipe without worry. It’s been such a relief not waking up to a burning sensation in my chest in the middle of the night or when I snuggle up on the couch after dinner. I’m not trying to beat heartburn after it starts. Instead, I’ve got it on lockdown before I start enjoying my favorite foods!
If you’re not sure what heartburn feels like, here are some common symptoms that Equate Omeprazole ODT would help relieve. Heartburn symptoms include:
- A “burning” feeling in the chest. This feeling is typically behind the breastbone and occurs after eating. It may last from a few minutes to several hours.
- Chest pain, especially after bending over, lying down or eating.
- Burning sensation in the throat.
- Hot, sour, acidic, or salty-tasting fluid at the back of the throat or mouth.
- A feeling of food being “stuck” in the middle of the chest or throat.
If you experience chronic heartburn like me, be sure to pick up a pack of Equate Omeprazole ODT at Walmart while your shopping for the ingredients for this chili con carne! You’ll thank yourself later.
Try some of my other favorite game day recipes to serve alongside this chili!
- Bacon Jalapeno Deviled Eggs
- Bloody Mary Recipe
- Philly Cheese Steak Sliders
- Club Sandwich Pinwheels
- 3-Ingredient Crock Pot Bean Dip
- Sausage Cheese Balls
- Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Sliders
- More dinner recipes…
- In a large pot, cook beef, onion, green pepper, and garlic over medium-high heat for about 8 minutes. Stir occasionally until beef is brown; drain and return to heat.
- Stir in remaining ingredients except for the beans. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in beans. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat to low; simmer uncovered about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally until desired thickness is reached.