Chicken Bacon Roll Ups are a delicious low-carb recipe with just 5 ingredients! It’s a great keto dinner on the grill with tons of flavor!
I love using the grill, and these Chicken Bacon Roll Ups are a great low-carb dinner with tons of flavor but not tons of steps! Keep the stove off this summer with this amazing grilled chicken roll up and a baked potato in the slow cooker.
CHICKEN BACON ROLL UPS
Like this recipe? Pin it to your DINNER board!
Follow Real Housemoms on Pinterest
My mom made these chicken roll ups all the time when I was a kid. Now, my kids love them just as much as I did! Everyone loves these smokey, salty, juicy pinwheels filled with just bacon, chicken, thyme, and garlic powder. Plus, they’re perfect for keto, too!
This chicken roll up recipe only requires 5 basic ingredients and pulls together so fast but looks and tastes like a special occasion dinner.
CHICKEN BREASTS: Ditch the tortillas and use chicken for your roll ups! Boneless, skinless chicken breasts are best for this recipe. You can also use chicken cutlets in a pinch!
BACON: Thin or thick-cut bacon will work here! I like the thick-cut peppered bacon, but any brand and type will do. If you don’t use peppered bacon, you will want to add a little black pepper, too.
Don’t forget the olive oil, dried thyme, and garlic powder! You’ll also need some toothpicks soaked in water to hold the perfect pinwheel shape while they cook.
How to Make Chicken Roll Ups
- First, slice the chicken into thin strips. Make sure they’re all the same size for even cooking, and divide them into 4 equal piles.
- Then, cook the bacon for a few minutes so it has some color on it but isn’t crispy.
- Now, lay a strip of partially cooked bacon on a raw chicken slice and roll with the bacon on the inside. Use toothpicks soaked in water to hold the chicken bacon roll ups together.
- Next, drizzle olive oil on all sides of the roll ups, and sprinkle them with thyme and garlic powder.
- Finally, grill the chicken breast roll ups for a few minutes on each side. Be sure the internal temperature reaches at least 165 degrees F!
This low-carb recipe is great for meal prep, too! Add your favorite keto snacks to these hearty lunches or dinners.
How Long Do I Cook Chicken Bacon Roll Ups in the Oven?
If you don’t have a grill, don’t sweat! You can make this chicken roll up recipe in the oven, too.
Your baking time will depend on the thickness of your chicken and bacon, but you’ll want to start with half an hour at 375 degrees F. After that, cook them for 5-minute at a time and check the temperature until they’re done in the thickest part of the roll up.
Whenever you’re cooking chicken, always use a meat thermometer to check the internal temperature. If it’s not 165 degrees F internally, you’ll end up with pink chicken!
More Delicious Chicken and Bacon Recipes
- Cheddar Bacon Chicken Tenders
- Bacon-Wrapped Chicken
- Crockpot Cheesy Chicken, Bacon & Tater Tot Bake
- Bacon Ranch Chicken
- Creamy Chicken Bacon Ziti
- More DINNER recipes…
Tools used to make Chicken Bacon Roll Ups
Meat Thermometer: I always use a thermometer when I make chicken so there’s no raw surprise! This one’s great because it gives me a clear reading every time.
Chef’s Knife: I use a sharp chef’s knife to get the cleanest cuts on my chicken strips. I’ve had this one for years and it’s a go-to in my kitchen.
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast (see note)
- 8 slices thick-cut pepper bacon
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme dried
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Wooden or metal skewers
- For wooden skewers: Soak the skewers in water for 30 minutes before starting this recipe.
- Preheat your gas grill to medium heat or start the coals for a charcoal grill.
- Place a large skillet over medium heat. Add the bacon strips to the hot skillet and cook it until a little color starts to form, flipping once. You don't want it crispy, just par-cooked. Remove to a paper towel-lined plate to cool.
- While the bacon cooks, slice the chicken breasts into 1-inch thick strips. Divide the chicken strips into 4 equal piles.
- Pat the chicken strips and bacon dry with paper towels. This will help the meats stick together better. Grab 2-3 chicken strips and 2 bacon strips. Lay a strip of bacon on top of a chicken strip or two, repeat with the other bacon strip.
- Roll up the first chicken/bacon strip with the bacon on the inside. Place the first pinwheel on top of the other chicken/bacon strip and roll again with the bacon on the inside. Skewer the roll-up with a wood or metal skewer. Use toothpicks to secure any loose chicken strip ends.
- Drizzle or brush olive oil over the top and bottom of each roll-up. Then sprinkle both sides generously with thyme and garlic powder.
- Grill the roll-ups until the chicken is completely cooked, about 5 minutes on each side. (The cooking time depends on each grill. So be sure your chicken is thoroughly cooked to 165 degrees F internal temp before serving.) Remove from the grill and serve warm.
Simple to make fantastic flavor
I would love you to send me more of your recipes please. I’m tired of the same old thing all the time. My husband is having a hard time finding good that will agree with him right now. He quit smoking in August and since then nothing taste right to him. He’s on medication that he’s suppose to eat with. He’s just eating cereal and toast. He will eat biscuits and gravy once in awhile too.
Julie @Real Housemoms says
Hi Sandy! You can sign up to receive our daily emails by clicking the “Subscribe my email” at the top of the website OR follow the Real Housemoms Facebook page for all kinds of delicious recipes! 🙂 https://www.facebook.com/RealHouseMoms
I’m gonna try this for camping!