This COOKIE SALAD is one of the best side dishes ever. It is light, fluffy, sweet, and hits the spot every time. It has only five ingredients, keeping it super simple to throw together!
I don’t know if it’s a culture thing or what, but when I see this cookie salad, or a jello salad, or anything of the like, it is most definitely a side dish to me. Maybe it’s because I am a Mormon and we don’t drink, so we substitute the alcohol for sugar and need it at every meal? In fact, just last week, my husband had someone ask him in a really serious tone, “I heard that Mormons don’t drink, so they eat ice cream instead?” My husband was sure to tell him that it was 100% true. Ha! Not really, but sometimes it feels like it.
Basically, what I’m trying to tell you is to not rain on my parade when I say that this cookie salad is totally okay to have on your plate, right next to your roast beef and veggies, instead of waiting until your plate is licked clean to eat it as a dessert. In all honesty, you could also make it as a dessert if you really wanted to though, which is another reason this stuff is so great. Versatility at it’s finest, am I right?
My favorite part about this cookie salad is that there are only five ingredients standing between you and its deliciousness. Yep. You read that right. Just five. This means that there is really no reason that you can say no to making it for dinner every night of the week. I have a feeling that your kids, husband, or your own belly, whatever it may be, will be forever grateful. You can thank me for that later.
- 2 cups buttermilk cold
- 5.1 oz package instant vanilla pudding mix
- 12 oz. frozen whipped topping thawed (or 3 cups homemade cool whip)
- 22 oz cans mandarin oranges 11 oz. each, drained
- 11.5 oz fudge-striped shortbread cookies coarsely crushed
- In a medium bowl, whisk the vanilla pudding mix into the buttermilk for two minutes.
- Fold in the whipped topping.
- Add the oranges and stir gently.
- Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve. Add the crushed cookies, just before serving.
You might also like: