EGGNOG RICE PUDDING is so fast to make and probably the ultimate Holiday comfort food, it has to be a Christmas dessert for you this year!
Growing up I couldn’t wait for the eggnog to come out! I love to drink it and I passed my love of this delicious drink down to my kids. I had to rename it when they were really little because my kids were not about to drink something called EGGNOG! So it was renamed Christmas Milk. That worked like a charm and they were asking for Christmas Milk all the time. I would give it to them as a dessert after dinner and they were so happy! Now they call it eggnog and life is good. I’ve found that I can even get them to try things that they wouldn’t as long as I tell them it has eggnog in it. I made a yummy Baked Eggnog French Toast. At the time my youngest wasn’t too into the baked french toasts but I got him to try this one and he was hooked! So when I said I’m going to make rice pudding they were both not too sure! I told them it was sweet and going to be eggnog rice pudding and they agreed to try it.
I like the stove top version of rice pudding the best. This is the way my mom used to make it so that may have something to do with it. It’s just so stinking simple to make this way! I used arborio rice because it’s a short grain rice and has more starch than regular rice so you get that creamy texture you want. When I’m totally in the mood for a comforting dessert that I can whip up fast rice pudding is perfect! I love to snack on it warm, mainly because I have no patience, but it’s great chilled too. Give this ultimate comfort Christmas dessert a try and let me know what you think!
- add eggnog, rice and salt into a medium saucepan and bring to a boil, stirring frequently
- cover, reduce heat and cook for 20 to 25 minutes, until rice is tender (not all the liquid will be absorbed)
- in a small bowl whisk together the egg, brown sugar, nutmeg and molasses
- slowly stir in 1/2 cup of the rice mixture into the egg mixture (about a tablespoon at a time)
- add the egg mixture into the warm rice mixture in pan and cook on low for 5 to 10 minutes
- you can either serve it up warm or allow it to chill then enjoy!