These Air Fryer Apple Hands Pies are a simple and classic dessert that you can make any night of the week to satisfy your sweet tooth!
Warm, flakey, and delicious Air Fryer Apple Hands Pies are everything you love about this American classic, but in the palm of your hand! The perfectly baked golden brown crust wrapped around warm, spiced apple filling is sure to transport you to your happy place!
What’s to Love About Air Fryer Apple Pie
These air fryer apple hand pies are seriously delicious and I love being able to ditch the plates and forks! This crowd-pleaser is one of my go-to recipes for potlucks and parties.
Other Recipes for Apple Lovers
- Warm Caramel Apple Cider Cocktail – You can never have too much apple! This warm cocktail is the perfect sidekick for air fryer apple pie!
- Caramel Hard Apple Cider – If you’re looking for a refreshing adult beverage to go with your pie, this festively flavored hard cider is the drink for you!
- Apple Ginger Fizz – Fun and fizzy, this is the perfect mocktail for every apple lover to enjoy.
Dough: Flour, salt, and butter are processed together to make the base of this air fryer apple pie dough. It is then finished with a mixture of Greek yogurt, lemon, and water. The result is the most perfect handheld pie crust you’ll ever taste.
Apple Pie Filling: Peeled and diced apples are combined with sugar and cinnamon to create a classic apple pie filling that is sure to transport you to your happy place.
How to Make Recipe Title
STEP ONE: In a food processor, stir the flour, salt, and butter to create the base of your apple pie air fryer dough. With the processor running, slowly add in a mixture of Greek yogurt, water, and lemon juice until the dough comes together.
STEP TWO: Once mixed, remove the dough, cover it with plastic wrap and place it in the fridge to set for at least an hour.
STEP THREE: Place the chopped apples along with the cinnamon and sugar into a medium saucepan and stir everything together. Cook the apples for about 8 minutes. Once cooked, remove from the heat and let the apple mixture cool in the pan while the pie dough chills.
STEP FOUR: Preheat the air fryer to 350 degrees F and spray the air fryer basket with olive oil. Then use a rolling pin to roll the chilled dough out and use a medium-sized bowl as a guide to cut out dough circles. Reroll any dough scraps until you have 8 dough circles.
Place some of the air fryer apple pie filling in the middle of each dough circle. Then fold the dough over the filling, and use water to seal the edges.
STEP FIVE: Brush the tops of the air fryer apple hand pies with egg wash using a pastry brush. Now cut three small slits in the top of each pie and sprinkle coarse sugar over the top of each.
STEP SIX: Cook the pies for 10-15 minutes or until they are golden brown. Serve air fryer apple pies while they are still warm with a side of caramel sauce.
Tips for Success
- Use your favorite type of apple! From Honey Crisp to Granny Smith, each apple has it’s own unique flavor and texture!
- Sprinkling course sugar over the top of the hand pies really gives them a bakery quality that is sure to impress your family and friends!
- I like to crimp the edges of the pies with a fork to really seal everything inside.
- The addition of Greek yogurt to this handheld pie crust recipe is a must because it makes a soft dough that’s easy to work with.
- You can save leftovers in a airtight container in the fridge and reheat fried apple pie in the air fryer the next day. They even make a great breakfast on the go!
Can You Bake Apples in an Air Fryer?
If you love apple pie but want to cut out some of the carbs, these air fryer baked apples are your new friend! The harmonious combination of sweetness and tartness in perfect balance without the guilt of all those carbs is something to be celebrated!
This is a dessert that I absolutely love and have made plenty of times over the fire while camping. Luckily, the convenience of the air fryer has made this delicious dessert even easier to execute and enjoy on a regular basis!
Can You Cook Frozen Apple Pie in Air Fryer?
Any leftover air fryer mini apple pies can absolutely be frozen in an airtight container and stored for later. I recommend taking pies out of the freezer and allowing them to thaw either in the fridge or on the counter before you reheat the apple pie in the air fryer. This will allow it to reheat evenly and restore them to their warm and crispy state.
Other Apple Dessert to Enjoy
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cold butter cut into small cubes
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt (any fat content works)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 large apples peeled, cored, and diced
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- Coarse sugar for garnish
- Caramel sauce for serving (optional)
- In a food processor, combine the flour and salt and pulse 3-4 times. Add the cold butter cubes and process until the mixture is crumbly.
- In a medium bowl, combine the yogurt, water, and lemon juice. Slowly add the liquid to the flour mixture with the food processor running until the dough comes together.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured work surface and shape it into a disk. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour. (Don’t skip this step!)
- Chop apples and place them into a medium saucepan along with the cinnamon and sugar. Stir to combine. Cook over medium heat for 8 minutes or until the apples release their juices and become tender. Remove from heat and allow to cool while the pie dough chills.
- Preheat the air fryer to 350 degrees F. Spray the basket with olive oil spray.
- Unwrap the dough and roll it out to about 1/4-inch thick. Using a medium bowl, cut circles from the dough. Re-roll the dough scraps and cut until you have 8 dough circles. (This is a soft dough, but the yogurt makes it easy to work with.)
- In the middle of the circles, place 1-2 tablespoons of the apple mixture. Fold one-half of the circle over to match the opposite edge to enclose the pie filling. Use a little water brushed onto the edges of the dough to help seal the edges. I like to crimpy the edges with the tines of a fork too.
- In a small bowl, beat together the egg and water. Then brush onto the tops of the hand pies with the egg wash and sprinkle with coarse sugar. Cut 3 slits into the tops of the pies.
- Place pies in the air fryer basket. (Do not crowd, you'll need to cook in batches). Cook for 10-15 minutes until the pies are golden brown.
- Remove the pies from the basket and repeat with the remaining pies. Serve warm with caramel sauce, if desried.