Yesterday I posted my Skinny Creamy Chicken Enchiladas that I made with my Super Easy Slow Cooker Chicken Taco meat. Of course I had to have an amazing side to go along with it, right? I usually make black beans and rice but wanted to make something different this time. When we were in CA visiting my parents my mom showed me some beautiful looking couscous. (I’ve got an idea for that coming soon.) Thinking about couscous. Why not go Tex-Mex with it?
This dish couldn’t have been any easier to make. If you can cook rice you can cook couscous. It comes together so fast! Couscous is a pasta about the size of a grain. It was a fun new side dish to go along with my enchiladas. I sort of got stuck in a rut, a delicious rut, but a rut none the less, so I needed a new dish to try and this didn’t disappoint. I think I’ve just widened my sides for Mexican night!
- heat a small pan over high heat and add 1 t of oil
- once hot add frozen corn and cook, stirring occasionally till dark brown in color
- heat a med sauce pan over med heat
- add 1 T of oil
- saute yellow onion and garlic for 2-3 min
- add in couscous and cook for 1 min
- stir in cooked corn, tomatoes, salt, cumin, and coriander
- stir in chicken broth and bring to a boil
- reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook for 12 min
- fluff with a fork and top with cilantro