This Balsamic Pumpkin & Chicken Salad is made with sweet, golden roasted pumpkin and chicken tossed with arugula leaves and a wicked Honey Balsamic Dressing. THIS is a salad worthy of being a meal!
I have a real hang up about wimpy salads. You know when you go out for lunch with friends and in an attempt to get more greens into your diet, you order a salad only to find that it isn’t at all satisfying and you’re still hungry when you finish the meal? Or at least, within an hour of finishing? I’m all for getting more veggies into our diets. But if we’re going to eat more salads, let’s make them satisfying salads, hmm? So – how about this: Balsamic Pumpkin & Chicken Salad with gorgeously caramelized roasted pumpkin and chicken tossed with fresh peppery arugula leaves, finished with toasted pine nuts for little pops of creamy nuttiness and salty, creamy bits of feta. All dressed with a gorgeous Honey Balsamic Dressing. Now, THIS is what I call a salad!
BALSAMIC PUMPKIN & CHICKEN SALAD
Like this recipe? Pin it to your DINNER pin board!
Follow Real Housemoms on Pinterest
With a salad like this, it’s completely satisfying by itself – even without a bread roll on the side, the pumpkin fills it out and will keep you satisfied for hours afterward.
Speaking of the pumpkin, I make this by roasting the chicken at the same time as the pumpkin. Efficiency of motion. 🙂 Oh – and the dressing does double duty – I like to smear a bit on the chicken to add a bit of flavor to it.
But actually, the chicken doesn’t really need that much flavor while cooking because it’s all chopped up before tossing in the salad with the dressing.
You could pan sear the chicken if you wanted to. But seeing as I am roasting pumpkin anyway, I just do them at the same time.
I’d love to know if you try this Balsamic Pumpkin Chicken Salad! And if you have any questions, just pop them below the recipe and we’ll answer it asap!
Want more salad recipes?
- Honey Mustard Chicken Salad
- Italian Chop Salad
- Berry Avocado Grilled Chicken Salad
- Classic Cobb Salad
- Grilled Barbecue Chicken Salad
- More dinner recipes…
Tools used to make this Balsamic Pumpkin & Chicken Salad recipe
Baking Sheet: A nice big baking sheet is a must have for any kitchen. This half pan sheet is large than a regular cookie and works great for anything you’re baking.
Mason Jar: Mason jars are great for storing everything from salad dressing and coffee creamers to overnight oats and all kinds of delicious make ahead dishes!
Salad Bowl: This wooden salad bowl is a gorgeous addition to any dinner table. I’ve had mine for years and love it!
- 1 1/2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 1/2 tbsp honey
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1 chicken breast
- 13 oz pumpkin, cut into 1.5" cubes
- 2 tsp olive oil
- Salt & pepper
- 4 packed heaped cups arugula or baby spinach
- 1 oz feta
- 2 tbsp pine nuts
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Shake Dressing in a jar.
- Place pumpkin a bowl, sprinkle with salt and pepper and 2 tsp olive oil. Toss then scatter on tray.
- Place the chicken in the same bowl with 1 tbsp Dressing. Coat then place chicken on the tray.
- Bake for 25 minutes, turning the pumpkin at about 15 minutes, until pumpkin is soft and just cooked.
- Remove chicken and roughly chop.
- Meanwhile, toast pine nuts in a dry pan over medium heat until golden, then remove immediately and cool.
- Assemble salad: Place arugula and chicken in a large bowl, drizzle wiht a bit of dressing then toss. Transfer into serving bowl, scatter pumpkin all over, toss gently, then crumble over feta and pine nuts. Drizzle over remaining Dressing then serve.