Slow Cooker Ham and Potato Cheese Soup has no morning prep involved! Just dump and go!
If you love creamy cheesy soup as much as I do, you have got to try this recipe for Slow Cooker Ham and Potato Cheese Soup. I work full-time, and I am often late getting out the door in the morning. With this soup, the morning prep is minimal.
In the morning I pour in a box of chicken broth, diced ham, a bag of southern style hash brown, a scoop of frozen onions and some seasonings into my slow cooker, and set it for 8 hours. Off to work I go, and when I arrive home all I have to do is blend up part of the soup with cream cheese and stir in some freshly grated cheese. I do also grill some buttered sourdough bread, it goes so good with this soup! I hope you enjoy one of my favorite no-fuss best crock pot recipes! Enjoy!
- 1 (32-oz.) bag frozen southern style hash browns
- 1/2 cup diced onion (I use frozen diced onion!)
- 1 (32-oz.) box chicken broth
- 1 1/2 - 2 cups diced ham
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder (not in photo)
- 1 (8-oz.) box 1/3 less fat cream cheese
- 1 (8-oz.) block sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (don't buy pre-shredded, it won't melt as well)
- Bread and butter for serving
- In a 6-quart slow cooker, add the frozen potatoes, onion, chicken broth, ham, pepper, thyme and garlic powder.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 8 hours without opening the lid during the cooking time.
- When the cooking time is up, add the cream cheese to a blender, and scoop some broth and hot potatoes into the blender with the cream cheese, just enough to get the blender moving, cover and blend until smooth. Add this mixture back to the rest of the soup in the slow cooker. Add the shredded cheese and stir.
- Serve with bread and butter.
You may also like: Slow Cooker Chicken and Kale Gnocchi Soup