Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms with savory beef, sautéed onions, pepper jack cheese, and au jus are the most amazing low carb dinner!
Who says mushrooms have to be boring? These portobello mushrooms are stuffed with slow simmered beef roast and onions and baked to perfection for a delicate and lite entree you will love in every bite. This stuffed portobello mushroom recipe is loaded with flavor, simple and fast to make, just like my favorite stuffed mushrooms appetizer! If you are looking to change dinner up or even serve for a lite low carb lunch simply think of these adorable fungi!
STUFFED PORTOBELLO MUSHROOMS
Like this recipe? Pin it to your SIDE DISH pinboard!
Follow Real Housemoms on Pinterest
Real Housemoms TV
Are portobello mushrooms good for you?
Yes. Portobello mushrooms are low carb and filled with vitamin B, antioxidants, and phytonutrients. They also have a source of plant-based protein.
How to cook portobello mushrooms
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Remove stems and brown gills from the undersides of mushroom caps using a spoon, and discard. Place mushrooms on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper and cover the tops with olive oil and set aside.
- Slice onion and place in a large skillet along with beef. Cook covered over medium heat for 7-8 minutes until beef is heated through and onions are just tender. Stuff each mushroom with equal amounts of beef mixture and top with one slice of pepper jack cheese.
- Place in preheated oven and bake for 25 minutes. Remove and top with au jus and fresh chopped parsley.
What do portobello mushrooms taste like?
- Portobello mushrooms are meaty tasting and thick similar to a steak.
- They have a great texture and flavor that goes well with so many things.
- Portobello mushrooms can be baked or grilled and filled in so many different ways.
If you have never made baked portobello mushrooms you will love this recipe and it makes such a great healthy and low carb option without compromising on flavor.
There are so many delicious options to stuff your portobello mushrooms with. You could even “wow” your guest with a topping bar so they can add some of their favorite fixings to bake right into these delicious and creamy mushrooms.
I love the addition of the pepper jack cheese for a little spicy kick and as you bite into these meaty tasting mushrooms topped with au jus you will fall in love with how amazing they truly are.
Can mushrooms replace meat?
Yes! They have a rich and meaty flavor that can replace meat in any recipe.
Looking for more low carb goodness?
- Low Carb “Fried” Pickles
- Low Carb Cauliflower Breadsticks
- Salisbury Steak
- Keto Chocolate Chip Cookie Fat Bombs
- Cauliflower Fried Rice
- More dinner recipes…
Tools used to make this Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms recipe
Baking Sheet: A nice big baking sheet is a must-have for any kitchen. This half pan sheet is large than a regular cookie and works great for anything you’re baking.
Parchment Paper: Your baked goods will never stick again! I love using parchment paper for everything from cookies to pizzas!
Large Skillet: This skillet is my go-to kitchen tool. It’s large circumference and high sides make it perfect for cooking anything from one pan meals to soups and sauces.
- 30 ounce package slow cooked beef roast with au jus
- 6 portobello mushrooms
- 1 medium onion sliced thin
- 6 slices pepper jack cheese
- Fresh parsley chopped, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
- Remove stems and brown gills from the undersides of mushroom caps using a spoon, and discard. Place mushrooms on prepared baking sheet and brush the tops of the mushrooms with olive oil and set aside.
- Place sliced onion in a large skillet along with beef and au jus. Cook covered over medium heat for 7-8 minutes until beef is heated through and onions are just tender.
- Turn over mushrooms and stuff each one with equal amounts of beef mixture and top with one slice of pepper jack cheese. Reserve au jus for topping once cooked.
- Bake for 25 minutes. Remove and top with au jus and fresh chopped parsley.
Download Your Free Copy!
Download your FREE copy of Dinner Made Easy!
Sign up to receive our newsletter and download your copy of Dinner Made Easy FREE! You'll get one email a week with our favorite recipes and tools to make life easy!