Fruity, delicious, and the perfect amount of kick! One sip of Sex on the Beach and your tastebuds will be on a seaside vacation!
Summer is here and that means it’s time to start mixing up your favorite classic summer drinks! Whether you’re a pina colada fan or you’re all about sipping a Sex on the Beach, fruity drinks are the BEST. I love Sex on the Beach cocktails because they’ve got a great tropical flavor, they look beautiful, and they’re SUPER simple to make. Garnish your Sex on the Beach drink with some maraschino cherries and orange slices and you’ll look like a professional bartender!
Ok, ok, so the NAME of this cocktail is a bit risque, but it is a CLASSIC recipe that is simply scrumptious. I have such fond memories of sipping on a Sex on the Beach cocktail on summer vacation with my girlfriends. There’s something just so fun and flirty about this cocktail that makes it the ultimate summer treat!
It may look like it’s a “girly, fruity” drink, but it certainly packs a punch. My husband has NO shame in sipping one around his guy friends. (Sometimes he’ll even let me put in one of those cute little drink umbrellas….). So if you’re having a backyard BBQ this summer, you should definitely mix up a big batch of this Sex on the Beach recipe.
With a yummy (but simple) mixture of juice, vodka, and peach schnapps, this Sex on the Beach drink recipe will have you wishing you had your bum in the sand as the waves crashed on your feet. Summer, here we come!
Sex on the Beach Ingredients
Alcohol – to make the perfect Sex on the Beach you’ll need some vodka and peach schnapps. Don’t go crazy using super fancy vodka, the flavor of it is mostly masked by the juice. I typically go middle-of-the-road vodka personally. The cheap stuff leaves you feeling icky, but don’t waste the expensive stuff on a mixed drink!
Juice – some orange juice and cranberry juice round out the base for this fruity cocktail. It doesn’t matter if you’ve got OJ with pulp or no pulp, it all tastes delicious in a Sex on the Beach cocktail! Also, you can use cranberry juice cocktail OR 100% cranberry juice, whichever you prefer. Cranberry juice cocktail does have some more sugar in it, so if you’re looking to cut back on some of the sweetness in the drink, use plain cranberry juice.
How to make Sex on the Beach drink
This sex on the beach recipe makes one cocktail, but I always end up making a BIG batch so everyone can come back for seconds (or thirds). The best thing about making a sex on the beach cocktail is how easy it is. Just pour, shake or stir, and serve!
STEP ONE: You’ll want this sex on the beach drink nice and cold, so start by putting the ice into a cocktail shaker. I personally like using crushed ice because. You can also make fun-shaped ice cubes with a mold!
STEP TWO: Add the vodka, peach schnapps, and juices to the shaker. Secure the lid in place and give it a good shake before straining into the cocktail glass.
STEP THREE: Use a bar spoon to pour the grenadine into the glasses. This way it’ll sink to the bottom of the drink. Then fancy up your glasses with a fresh orange slice and a maraschino cherry as a garnish. (I love throwing in one of those cute little cocktail umbrellas for some extra fun!)
Tips for Success
- If you don’t have a cocktail shaker on hand, don’t worry. You can assemble this drink right in the glass. Just stir everything together beofre pouring in the greandine.
- Want to make a big batch in a pitcher? Use 1 cup of vodka, 1 cup of peach scnaps, 2 cups of orange juice and 2 cups or cranberry juice. You can either add 1/4 cup of grendine to the pitcher or pour it into each cocktail once it’s poured. If you’re making this ahead of time, leave out the ice until you’re ready to serve.
- If you want to tone down the sweetness, add greandine to your taste or add in a little squeeze of lime juice to tone things down.
How did Sex on the Beach get it’s name?
The story goes that this cocktail comes from Florida where a bartender whipped it up as part of a peach schnapps promotion. He figured most people in Florida for spring break were there for the beach and sex…hence the name.
Want more summertime cocktail recipes?
- Frozen Banana Daiquiri
- Irish Julep
- Orange Strawberry Rose Sangria
- Raspberry White Claw Cocktail
- Cherry Beer Margarita
- Fill a cocktail shaker with ice.
- Pour in the vodka, peach schnapps, orange juice, and cranberry juice. Close the shaker, and give everything a good shake.
- Strain the cocktail into a collins glass filled with ice. Use a spoon to pour a little grenadine over the cocktail.
- Garnish with a cherry and an orange slice on the rim of the glass. Serve immediately.