Crispy sausage filled puff pastry bites dipped into a tasty curry ketchup, it’s hard to stop at just 1 or 2. These mini pork, apple & sage sausage rolls with curry ketchup are perfect to enjoy with drinks or just to nibble on and leftovers can be frozen. They can even be prepared ahead, refrigerated and baked off when you need them.
If you have guests coming over for drinks or just feel like having something to nibble on, these sausage rolls are perfect for both. I may have had a couple for breakfast one morning while no one was looking, but that’s another story.
MY LATEST VIDEOS
The sausage roll is Britain’s favorite snack or light meal. There’s something about biting into soft, crispy puff pastry that you don’t get from anything else, then you get through the pork filling that is flavored with sweet apple and sage. The only thing that make these better is the curry ketchup because you have to have something to dip into.
The curry ketchup could not be easier, it’s just curry powder and ketchup, cool eh? Did I mention how easy these sausage rolls are to make? I think I did, but they really are. Store bought puff pastry is used which is a huge time saver because I don’t know many peopel who, a) make their own and b) who want to make their own. There’s really no need. The filling is ground pork, sweet red apple, onion, dried basil and fresh sage. The filling is rolled up in the puff pastry and they are baked off.
No use for them now? No problem. Make them, don’t bake them and freeze them for when you do need or want them. The only problem is, it is very hard to not start eating them when they come out of the oven, I had this problem. The best thing is to make a double batch. Party time!
For the ketchup
- 2 teaspoons mild curry powder
- 1 cups good ketchup
For the sausage rolls
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1 cup red apple grated
- 1/4 medium onion grated
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry thawed according to package instructions
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- For the ketchup
- To a small sauté pan add the curry powder.
- Cook over very low heat stirring often until fragrant, for 1 minute. *see note
- Transfer the curry powder to a bowl and allow to cool.
- Once cooled, add the ketchup to the curry powder and mix well. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour to develop the flavor.
- For the sausage rolls
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- To a mixing bowl add the pork, apple, onion, basil, sage, salt and pepper.
- Mix until everything is well combined. Set aside.
- Roll out the pastry onto a floured surface until it measures 16 x 9 inches.
- Divide the dough into 4, 4 x 9 inch rectangles.
- Divide the pork mixture into 4 equal parts.
- Roll into sausages and lay onto the 4 x 9 rectangles, closest to the left side.
- Brush egg wash down the right side of the pastry.
- Take the left side of the rectangle and roll the pastry over the pork, making sure the pastry overlaps on the right side and is 'glued' with the seam side down. Repeat for all rectangles.
- Bake for 25 minutes until golden brown. Rotate the baking sheet half way through baking for even browning.
- Serve warm with the curry ketchup.
Download Your Free Copy!
Download your FREE copy of Dinner Made Easy!
Sign up to receive our newsletter and download your copy of Dinner Made Easy FREE! You'll get one email a week with our favorite recipes and tools to make life easy!