Ice Cream Bread is a fun and easy way to make a little sweet bread using ice cream, flour, and as many sprinkles as you want!
A touch of sweetness and a lot of fun, Ice Cream Bread is an easy-to-make bread that only requires two ingredients! Set out your favorite ice cream plus self-rising flour to make the bread, and then whisk together the powdered sugar topping and add all the sprinkles you want to make bread that is quick and delightful!
Quick and Fun
When the recipe for Ice Cream Bread was revived on social media I was totally on board, because really, who doesn’t want to add ice cream to more recipes? Now, this bread isn’t wildly sweet, it’s a quick bread with pound cake-like flavors, which makes it great for a snack or midmorning treat. That means you can make the topping as sweet as you want without feeling over-sugared! To get more of a dessert vibe, we always add sprinkles to our bread, even if we switch things up and make a chocolaty topping, because you can never have too many sprinkles!
Other Recipes to Serve with Ice Cream Bread
- Those afternoon treats wouldn’t be complete without a delicious cup of some kind of coffee, so brew up a delicious White Chocolate Mocha Latte to have with a slice of Ice Cream Bread!
- Funfetti Cake Mix Blondies are also great sweet treats full of fun sprinkles that everyone loves digging into!
Ice Cream: Grab your favorite ice cream o make this bread but ensure it is full-fat and contains regular sugar. Light or sugar-free options like Halo won’t work for this recipe. Also, set out the ice cream ahead of time to soften it.
Flour: You will need self-rising flour to make this bread- check out the tips section on how to make your own.
Icing: The sweetness is all in the icing, and you will need powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla extract to make it.
Sprinkles: Everything’s more fun when you add sprinkles, so pick up rainbow sprinkles or specific colors for a special occasion.
How to Make Ice Cream Bread
STEP ONE: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and coat a loaf pan with non-stick spray. Using a medium bowl with beaters or a stand mixer with a paddle attachment, mix the ice cream and flour until combined. Fold in the sprinkles.
STEP TWO: Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and bake for 40-45 minutes or until a tester comes out clean. Allow the bread to cool before icing.
STEP THREE: To make the icing, combine the powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla extract in a bowl and whisk together. Add more milk to thin the icing or more powdered sugar to thicken the icing until it reaches the consistency you like. Spread the icing over the cooled bread and then top with sprinkles.
Tips for Success
- Self-rising flour is a must-have in this recipe, and all-purpose flour will not work. To make your self-rising flour, simply combine 1 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder and 1/4 teaspoon of salt for every 1 cup of all-purpose flour. For this recipe, you will need 1 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour, 2 1/4 teaspoons of baking powder, and just under 1/2 teaspoon of salt.
- Add the softened ice cream to the mixing bowl first and stir until no lumps remain. Then when you add the flour, you won’t have to mix as much, and your bread will become a little lighter.
- Make a topping that will complement your bread, such as a chocolate chip with brownie ice cream or a white chocolate topping with strawberry ice cream. Add dried fruit or toasted nuts too. Whatever combo you can dream of, you can make!
- Store this bread in an airtight container in the fridge for up to four days or freeze it for up to three months.
What are the ingredients in Ice Cream Bread?
As you read above, all you need to make ice cream bread is self-rising flour and ice cream. The self-rising flour contains the necessary flour, baking powder, and salt to make the bread and help it rise. Ice cream contains the required milk and sugar you need to make bread. Essentially you are narrowing down all of the elements needed to make a loaf of bread into two ingredients, self-rising flour and ice cream, which is why ice cream bread is crazy delicious but not very sweet.
What kind of ice cream can I use?
As long as the ice cream is full fat and full sugar, there is no end to the ice cream you can use and the flavor combinations you can make! Vanilla is a traditional favorite, along with chocolate and strawberry. There are so many fun ice cream’s to try, from Rocky Road to Cherry Garcia and Moose Tracks! Ice cream containing chocolate chunks, fruit, and nuts is great and provides a little more fun! Feel free to add those extras as well, both to the bread and the topping. The only thing to avoid is adding more liquid, like a sauce or jam, that could add too much moisture to the bread causing it to end up soggy.
More amazing quick bread to snack on!
- Cinnamon Donut Bread
- Cranberry Orange Bread
- Pineapple Bread
- Double Chocolate Banana Bread
- Apple Cinnamon Pull-Apart Bread
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and spray the inside of a loaf pan with non-stick spray. Set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl (or stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment), mix the softened ice cream and flour just until combined. Fold in the sprinkles with a rubber spatula until evenly mixed in.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and spread it into an even layer.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until a toothpick comes clean when inserted into the center. Cool completely before topping.
- Whisk together the powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla until smooth (adding more sugar or milk as needed to reach your desired consistency). Spread over the top of the loaf and top with more sprinkles. Slice and enjoy!
- Make sure you use full-fat ice cream, a sugar-free or specialty ice cream such as Rebel or Halo won’t work.
- You must use self-rising flour for this recipe. All-purpose flour will not work.
- You can use any loaf pan size between 8×4-inches and 9×5-inches.