Chimichurri Egg Cups are an easy breakfast recipe perfect for feeding a crowd. They can also be frozen for breakfast on the go!
Chimichurri Egg Cups came about when I was trying to figure out a way to make green eggs and ham without using food coloring. I still wanted the dish to be pretty and also taste great, but not do the traditional green food coloring in scrambled eggs with a slab of bacon. Boring!
CHIMICHURRI EGG CUPS
Like it? Pin this post to your BREAKFAST pin board!
Follow Real Housemoms on Pinterest
Instead, I used a technique that I was often when entertaining, baked egg cups. A thin slice of ham serves as the edible cup in a muffin tin. Mince up all the veggies and mix-ins you want along with some shredded cheese, crack an egg and you are done! A standard muffin tin will result in enough food for 6 people, think about making 2 per person, and you can even let them customize their order.
I also make egg cups to freeze in individual plastic bags, then a quick zap in the microwave and I have myself a wholesome breakfast in a jiffy!
Chimichurri Sauce is Argentinian in its background and made of parsley, cilantro, garlic (lots of garlic!), crushed red pepper, black pepper and olive oil. Think of it as an Argentinian pesto sauce, almost. It is a rich, deep emerald green that adds loads of flavor and beauty to any dish. Feel free to play around with the amounts of any of the ingredients to please your palette. The only ingredient that is essential is cilantro, I know there are some folks out there who loathe cilantro, so this recipe might not be for them. Parsley not only adds flavor but helps the deep green color stay green. Olive oil prevents oxidization, so you can make your chimichurri sauce ahead of time and use it when you are ready. It only takes 10 minutes to prepare in a mini food processor.
If you like my Chimichurri Egg Cups, you’ll also like my Western Egg Cups. You can even make a batch of half and half for those cilantro haters!
Want more egg recipes?
- Ham Swiss and Egg Cups
- Sriracha Egg Tater Tot Cups
- Cheesy Sausage, Egg & Hash Brown Cups
- Cheesy Bacon & Egg Muffins
- Spinach, Egg, and Cheese Breakfast Bites
- More breakfast recipes…
Tools used to make this Chimichurri Egg Cups recipe
Muffin Tin: Muffin tins are great for all kind of baked goods! I use mine for muffins, cupcakes, appetizers, and egg cups!
Non-Stick Cooking Spray: Make sure your cakes, muffins, and other baked goods release from the pan with ease.
- 12 thin slices deli ham
- 12 eggs
- Cooking Spray
- Chimichurri sauce (store-bought or homemade)
- Fine sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly spray each well of a muffin tin with cooking spray.
- Folding each piece of ham, place into the well like a muffin liner would be.
- Crack one egg in each well and season with fine sea salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Bake for approximately 10-12 minutes or until the eggs are done to your liking.
- Remove eggs when cooked to your liking and spoon fresh chimichurri sauce over the top. Enjoy!