Easy Chicken Soft Tacos are a kid-approved taco night win! Crispy chicken and taco fixings are drizzled with homemade crema sauce for a quick 15-minute meal!
This post sponsored by Mirum. Opinions are 100% my own.
Chicken soft tacos are now going to be every busy mom’s go-to dinner. This is a quick and easy recipe the kids will devour! Made with Yummy Dino Buddies chicken nuggets, and an easy Mexican crema, you can whip up a weeknight dinner or after school snack in no time.
Real Housemoms TV
Now that back to school season in full swing, I know we’re all scrambling to find recipes for the kids that they’ll enjoy, and don’t have you spending hours prepping. Well, look no further, because these chicken soft tacos are the ideal busy school night dinner for you!
CHICKEN SOFT TACOS
Like this recipe? Pin it to your DINNER pinboard!
Follow Real Housemoms on Pinterest
I love a good taco Tuesday, and so do the kids, but sometimes those taco Tuesdays turn into nights of convenience food. Especially when the first few weeks of school start-up craziness sets in, and that’s not always the tastiest or healthiest option.
That’s why this year I’m all about this chicken soft taco recipe that’s made even easier with the help of Yummy Dino Buddies Chicken Nuggets. They also come fully cooked and can just be reheated in the microwave! Talk about a life-saving chicken taco hack!
I was craving tacos and hadn’t been to the store to buy more chicken. I went through the freezer and grabbed the box of Yummy Dino Buddies.
Luckily, I had grabbed an extra box during our last trip to Fred Meyer. You can also find them at Target, Winco, and Safeway. Use the product locator to find your closest store. I knew these nuggets would be a tasty substitute so I fired up the oven and taco night was saved!
What are soft tacos made of?
- Soft tacos are made with flour or corn tortillas and are soft in texture in contrast to hard tacos made with a crunchy corn tortilla shell.
Are soft tacos healthy?
Tacos are all about the filling, but you can make some decisions about the tortilla that’ll make them a healthier choice.
The “healthiest” option among the traditional taco shells in a non-fried corn tortilla. Corn tortillas generally have fewer calories than flour tortillas and way less fat and calories than fried tortillas. Cook your corn tortilla on the grill or in a skillet instead of eating it raw for more flavor.
How to Make Chicken Soft Tacos
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. and place Yummy Dino Buddies chicken nuggets on a baking sheet in a single layer. Bake them for 10-12 minutes, turning them once 6 minutes into cooking then remove them from the oven.
- While the chicken nuggets cook, rinse the lettuce and tomatoes. Cut the lettuce head into quarters and shred the lettuce using a kitchen knife. Cut off the tomato ends and dice. Place the lettuce, tomatoes, and shredded cheese into bowls for serving.
- In a medium. This is your show! Make it how you like it!
- Let’s make some tacos! Grab 2 Yummy Dino Buddies chicken nuggets and put them on a tortilla. Add desired toppings, however much you like. This is where picky eaters shine! Top with a dollop of crema sauce. We like to put our sauce in a squeeze bottle and let the kids add it themselves. Serve immediately or pack in a lunch box for later.
My kids can usually eat 2 tacos each, so I make enough Yummy Dino Buddies nuggets for dinner and some extra to use for their lunches the next day. Cook once and eat twice friends! Serve them up with some Mexican rice and black beans and you’re in business!
I kept the taco fixings simple with shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, and cheese but you could add olives, avocado or any other toppings you love. Fresco style is really popular with my family too.
What’s on a fresco chicken soft taco?
- Fresco-style is a chicken taco with pico de gallo and lettuce as the only toppings. There isn’t any cheese, mayo-based sauce, sour cream, or guacamole. It’s a calorie saver for sure.
But tonight I wanted to switch up our go-to sour cream with some crema. This sauce is similar to the topping flavors of Mexican street corn, and oh my goodness it is awesome on these crispy chicken soft tacos!
You can make the tacos and serve them up for your family or set out all of the ingredients needed for a “make your own taco” kind of dinner. Don’t forget to make the whole dino theme complete with a couple of dinosaur-shaped taco holders that make the taco assembly process both fun and mess-free.
Even when we run out of ingredients to make the soft chicken tacos, the boys still love to snack on the leftover Yummy Dino Buddies whenever they can get their hands on them. A delicious snack, in a fun shape definitely makes homework time a little less painful for all of us.
They get to enjoy the food they love, while I get the peace of mind knowing they are getting their schoolwork done. All while keeping the hangries away. It’s hard to concentrate when they get so hungry they turn grumpy.
If your kids aren’t a fan of the dinosaur shapes you can still get your hands on a back to school snack they will love, with other shapes, like the alphabet themed nugget that will be sure to get them into a learning mood.
To make dinner or lunchtime even more fun, head on over to the Dino Buddies Facebook page. Your kids can meet the dinos and find fun content like coloring pages and quizzes to test their knowledge. It’ll also buy you a few minutes to make dinner instead of everyone looking at you like they haven’t eaten in a week. You know, if you need the help.
Want more Back to School meal ideas? These are some of my favorites!
- Mexican Chicken Empanadas
- Hawaiian Quesadillas
- Best Classic Meatloaf
- Crock Pot Meatball Sandwiches
- Ravioli Lasagna
- More dinner recipes…
Do you have any unique ways to keep things running smoothly during back to school season? Be sure to let me know what your mealtime, or general time-saving hacks that help you make this busy time of year manageable.
- 16 Yummy Dino Buddies chicken nuggets (dino shaped)
- 1 cup lettuce shredded
- 2 Roma tomatoes diced
- 3/4 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 16 flour tortillas fajita-sized
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Place Yummy Dino Buddies chicken nuggets on a baking sheet in a single layer. Bake for 10-12 minutes, turning once 6 minutes into cooking. Remove from oven.
- While chicken nuggets cook, rinse lettuce and tomatoes. Cut lettuce head into quarters and shred lettuce. Cut off the tomato ends and dice. Place lettuce, tomatoes, and cheese into bowls for serving.
- In a medium bowl, stir together mayo, sour cream, lime juice, and chili powder until smooth and evenly combined. (Add more chili powder of lime juice to taste, if desired.) *You can transfer the sauce to a squeeze bottle or use a spoon to top your tacos.
- On a tortilla, place 2 Yummy Dino Buddies chicken nuggets. Add desired toppings, however much you like. Top with a dollop (or squirt) of crema sauce. Repeat with remaining ingredients. Serve immediately or pack in a lunch box for later.
Download Your Free Copy!
Download your FREE copy of Dinner Made Easy!
Sign up to receive our newsletter and download your copy of Dinner Made Easy FREE! You'll get one email a week with our favorite recipes and tools to make life easy!